Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

In 10 yrs, first time I damaged a car...I think.

Posted by Profile Detailer 
In 10 yrs, first time I damaged a car...I think.
June 28, 2011 08:41PM
Guys, not sure if a client is trying to pull a fast one on me, but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept onus for damage to a car headlight lens.

I don't know how it could have happened as I have never seen damage like it before. From left to right, there are loads of cracks about two inches long. Its almost like the lens experienced a lot of pressure on it. I was thinking that maybe it was hot after the drive to my place and my cold water in the wash might have caused it.

But cars drive to car washes every day and I have never heard of this happening. The light is four years old - previously replaced on a 10 yr old car. I'm going to replace it, but would love to know what happened so I can avoid it happening again.

Any ideas or have any of you come across it before?
Re: In 10 yrs, first time I damaged a car...I think.
June 28, 2011 11:59PM
What is the year make and model of vehicle?
June 29, 2011 12:03AM
Ive seen alot of lenses do this. As I used to be a automotive service manager customers were always wanting their lenses replaced. Bottom line- its caused by an impact that has stretched the plastic. We were actually able to duplicate these on old headlamps. Hang around a body shop for a while and youll see more of it.
June 29, 2011 08:38PM
I found out what it was. Silly me on auto-pilot wiped tar remover across the lens of a bmw. The solvent fractured the glass! For crying out loud! My supplier recognised the issue immediately when I rang him.

Seems they make the lens very delicate in case they hit a pedestrian or get in a crash. Its a safety feature.

I wouldn't mind but its something I never do. This is a very easy thing to do, mainly on German cars I believe. Keep it in mind, guys. Learn from my stupid (expensive!) mistake.
June 29, 2011 11:08PM
Wow! a lens could cost over 750.00 depending on the model.
June 30, 2011 12:55AM
Let me understand this, this is a glass lens and is cracked? from solvent? wow, im gonna be more carefull with tar remover in the future!
June 30, 2011 12:59AM
About a month ago a client had a deer jump out in front of his AMG CL55 and had to get the headlight as well as the hood and bumper etc replaced. Headlight replacement was $2,400 bucks alone insurance paid for it.
July 01, 2011 06:52PM
German cars, never touch the lights with tar remover!!! I guess you should apply that philosophy to every car now!

It seems to cause the plastic to either expand or contract where it touches, thereby cracking the plastic.

I said glass above, but they are actually made of plastic. Figure of speech.

It did cost me a lot to replace but I have no problem with that since it was definitely me that caused it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login