Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Scratchless, No-Maintenance Clear Coats

Posted by buda 
Scratchless, No-Maintenance Clear Coats
July 21, 2011 03:35PM
Have been doing some extensive research into the oft discussed "scratchless, no-maintenance clear coats and will soon post my findings here or on other forums.

Do any of you here have any information or facts on this paint technology?

Please share it here if you will.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
Re: Scratchless, No-Maintenance Clear Coats
July 21, 2011 11:04PM
Bud,
A little more resistant, but in the real world, without the marketing hype, not a "cure all".
Just important that one of the newer composition compounds be used vs older crystiline based products when attempting to fix one of the miracle clears.
The hard top surface is very thin, below that, it's very soft.
July 21, 2011 11:34PM
Ketch you are correct, not a cure-all, in fact it is unlikely that detailers in the USA are going to see many vehicles with "scratchless, no-maintenance" clears on OEM vehicles for many years.

Will discuss this when I get all my notes together. Like doing a term paper in high school or university. Lots of information that has to be organized in an orderly and readable fashion.

Regards
Bud Abraham

PS: Anything you know about them please share
July 23, 2011 04:31PM
Sounds interesting. Don't know much about them but I did hear that it is a big project in one of the big companies. I think it was BASF but can't remember - it was hearsay anyway.

The self-healing paint was a disaster. Is this going to be different? I can't see anything being scratch resistant and economical. You know the old saying - nothing is foolproof to a talented fool! People will still find a way to scratch it!
July 23, 2011 06:10PM
Bud, did you ever get those paint thickness gauges? It sounds like clear coats are getting harder and harder to correct and maintain.
July 23, 2011 06:44PM
Bob

Yes we do have the digital film thickness gauges. Send me your email and I will forward our 2011 Catalog. They are priced higher than the previous instrument because our supplier raised the price nut still the least expensive on the market.

As for scratchless clears probably won't see them from USA auto manufacturers for a long time. Will explain when I post my findings.

Bud A
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login