Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NANOTECHNOLOGY

Posted by buda 
NANOTECHNOLOGY
August 02, 2011 12:36AM
Have done some research into the new "buzz-word" among detail chemical companies and that is "nanotechnology."

Does anyone really know what that means or if, in fact, it has any positive effects on detailing paint finishing chemicals?

Nanotechnology sometimes shorten to Nanotech is the study of manipulating matter on an atomic and molecular scale.

Generally, nanotech deals with structures sized between 1 to 100 nanometre in at least one dimension, and involves developing materials or devices possessing at least one dimension within that size.

Nanotech is very diverse, ranging from extensions of concentional device physics to completely new approaches.

There is much debate on the future implications of nanotech. It may be able to create many new materials and devices in a medicine, electronics, biomaterials and energy production.

NOW DOES THAT ALL MAKE SENSE TO YOU? OF COURSE NOT.

Here is what a chemist involved in the formulation of automotive chemicals for more than 30 years had to say when I asked him about Nanotechnology that detail chemical companies were claiming their new 21st century chemicals included:

"Nanotechnology has made some inroads into automotive paints, but NOT into products used to refinish or protect the paint. In paints the only viable inroads has been with nano-filler materials that offer increased scratch protection.

There are also nano-fillers that offer better corrosion protection in paint primers.

But as far as I know NOT anything useable in paint sealants or waxes, polishes or compounds.

These coatings are far too thin to offer any utilization of these materials' benefits.

Anything that anyone says, in my opinion, is nothing but rhetoric. (a nice way of saying BS).

Just some well intentioned thoughts,

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
Re: NANOTECHNOLOGY
August 04, 2011 07:30AM
I use CQuartz and have tested it well before offering it to my clients. It does offer better scratch resistance. Now its not bulletproof but I coated one side of scrap panel and used a key, coin and nylon brush to test against scratching. There was very big difference. Still some damage but far less than on the uncoated side.

The washing is much easier as well due to the hydrophobic effect. All in all, between the extra hardness and the hydrophobic effect, it really cuts down on swirls and scratches that are inflicted upon a car paint in a normal lifecycle.

But I would agree otherwise with your chemist. The word is being thrown about willy-nilly and you really have to syphen off the rhetoric from the genuine products.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login