Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How to reduce my time

Posted by oli 
oli
How to reduce my time
August 31, 2002 04:23AM
Whenever I detail the exterior of a car it takes me twice as long as it should according to the post I've been reading. When I am done the work is nothing short of awesome, and this being mainly on dark coloured vehicles.
What I would like to know from the pros here, is how do you get a near perfect, flawless finish without taking 1 1/2 days to do it? I know everyone didn't start out just whipping out vehicles as good as they do now. I understand you get better with time, which is where I am, but I don't know how to workfaster and not lose quality which I pride myself in doing. What are your tricks and tips?
I use a highspeed polisher for paint flaws(scratches, webing etc) and a PC for application of waxes or sealants. I use Meguiars pads, 3M swirl removing and polishing products. The time, 90%, is taken up getting rid of the fine webbing that we see on newer vehicles. I prefer vehicles that are just a few years old and or vehicles that have not been abused.
Re: How to reduce my time
September 01, 2002 03:08AM
Oli,

I will reach in my bag of pearls and.........No wait, thats from a movie I just saw.

I usually spend the same if not more time on the interiors than I do on the exteriors mainly because the owner is in the car more than outside looking at it.

On average I spend about 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the exterior. Case in point. I did a black on black 02 911 on Friday afternoon, started about 12:45. I machine polished it with a 1200 cleaner/polish. Hand rubbed it out with cleansing lotion then applied a hand wax. Did the wheels, windows, vacuum, vacuum the convertable top, clean out the engine, front deck and door sils and I am done at about 3:30 -3:45.

The key here was knowing that the paint, while it had light scratches and some webbing, was not horrible. In fact I could of just put on a speed wax and it would of looked good, for a few days at least. So I knew that a mild polish appiled with a polishing pad at about 1200 RPM's was just the ticket to remove the light scratches, level the paint and remove any swirls. A finishing pad would of been perhaps too mild.

A going over the paint by hand, using a back and forth motion with cleansing lotion, removed any oils and residue and also ensured there were no swirls in the paint and also set up the paint for a proper bonding of the wax.

Hope that helps you out in some way.

Anthony

Re: How to reduce my time
September 01, 2002 04:50PM
one key is definately a compatible system of steps and products. if your products work together or compliment each other, you spend less time cleaning up and wiping off haze,splatter,dust etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login