Exterior Detailing
December 24, 2011 03:13PM
Why do most detailer's and especially those on forums only talk in depth about exterior detailing, polishing, perfection, and techniques and protectants.? Do they not realize that most consumers are only interested in shine and could care less about perfect paint... and even when they say they do... they are not willing to invest time to take care of it.

Since most owners will keep their vehicles for an average of 7 years how does it benefit the consumer for us to wet-sand every scratch and remove so much clear coat.. Instead of keeping the vehicle looking good for their lifestyle and then waiting to do paint perfection either when they sell or when the vehicle becomes so abused they want to give it a face lift.
Re: Exterior Detailing
December 24, 2011 04:07PM
Quote:

Do they not realize that most consumers are only interested in shine and could care less about perfect paint... and even when they say they do... they are not willing to invest time to take care of it.

I disagree with you in that most consumers want only shine. I find that many want to protect their paint more. Most people today realize that most brands sold only offer a short shine with zero real protection.

I feel people do not have the inclination,time or money to spend learning how to detail their cars. Some have spent money
going to professional detailers, and find that it was expensive and the results were not worth the continued expense.

People would pay for a service that does offer shine and protection at a affordable price, but no such thing exists.
December 24, 2011 07:46PM
Its true, I get a few folks who just want their dark colored vehicle to be shiny again but none are willing to fork over 1200.00 to have it perfect. Unstead of no money i just offer a quick shine up fir a ciuple hundred bucks and they are all happy bout that.
December 24, 2011 08:33PM
Bill

You make it sound as though paint is at the mercy of the elements? If that were the case the auto manufacturers would not guarantee a paint finish on a factory car for 10 years.

Not one of the Owner's Manuals I have ever read indicate that YOU MUST coat the paint finish with wax or paint sealant.

They do not even mention a word about the paint protection plans that dealers sell.

Gina is correct, most people just want their cars to look good and, sure they want you to tell them, they have protection but how are they going to know that. Only if you tell them and you can't prove it.

So, the quality work that a professional detail operation like Gina's performs is all the normal consumer wants.

God knows, I would love to have a clientel of exotic car owners who would pay me hundreds of dollars to keep their cars in perfect condition but the reality is that there is only a few of these type of people around, and they would be concentrated in SoCal; NoCal; Centor & SoMiami. Maybe NYC; Dallas. Where there are huge populations and good weather.

To answer Gina's question the reason for the concentration on perfect paint finishes is the fact, as Michael Gerber says in his book, "The E Myth" that most detailers are technicians, not business people and so their focus is on the technical side of detailing and not the business side. And the real test of their technical skill is how the paint looks, not how the interior looks.

Look at the views on the topics posted on Auto Detailing Secrets of the Experts, huge disparity between posts on technical issues vs business isses.

Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah to all.

Bud Abraham
December 24, 2011 11:58PM
Quote:
You make it sound as though paint is at the mercy of the elements? If that were the case the auto manufacturers would not guarantee a paint finish on a factory car for 10 years.

Manufactures will not guarantee to fix dark spots left from tree sap, etching from acid rain , nor bug residue and bird droppings damage.

Quote:

Gina is correct, most people just want their cars to look good and, sure they want you to tell them, they have protection but how are they going to know that. Only if you tell them and you can't prove it.

So, the quality work that a professional detail operation like Gina's performs is all the normal consumer wants.

Since the sealants Gina's shop offers is only conventional waxes/ sealants that do not offer any real protection. If the customer is not made aware that there are superior products available,then how can you or anyone assume that normal
customers just want shine.

Bud you do not know what real protection is. If Gina's customers used AT-5 they would know the difference within a couple of months of application. True professionals search to find and offer the highest quality products to their customers. Gina
has never shown the slightest interest in this product, and by this post she feels shine is only her real concern.
December 25, 2011 12:45PM
There will always be a place for the super high end paint perfecting work. plenty of people want it and it can be done
I know many American true professional detailers that do nothing but ferrari's and lamborghini's day in day out and the cars come in trucks from all over to country to Ohio and the other states the guys live

my motto is cater for everyone, the average joe motorist, the enthusiast and the car aficinado's with the exotics

At some point each year we should get a car or two in and go ballistic to see how much further we can take the quality of the work and the processes/technology that we perform
why just do it the same way forever. if you never try something you haven't mastered, you will not grow and rise to another level
getting shine is easy, protection for low price is easy, its just detailers in some countries overprice everything

Bud come to Australia and take a look at all the factory paint finishes on cars that have clear coat failure. Our heat and sun with no ozone kill paint finishes that are unprotected in no time.
some modern clears like honda jazz get the sun bleaching the colour coats through the clear. had one a few months ago with that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 12:59PM by svr73.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login