Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Clear Coat

Posted by Tom 
Tom
Clear Coat
January 21, 2002 02:32AM
I just got my 2002 Honda CR-V. It has a clear coat. My cat jumped on the front hood and guess what, there is scratches from all four paws. Now I have to figure out how to treat it. Why is the clear coat so delicate? I went to the store and purchased a car cover and place towels on the front hood, under the cover, just in case my cat tries to jump on again. I figure even with the car cover, if he tries to jump on the hood again, his claws will go through the car cover and cause more scratches.

Can anyone recommend how to treat these scratches? I was just getting ready to wax with Meguiar’s Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid car wax. From what I have been reading, I need to treat the scratches first before I wax.

I have learned so much from this group.

Thanks to you all,

Tom
Re: Clear Coat
January 21, 2002 03:20AM
Tom,

Personally cats & new vehicles should not be in the same room as to this is probably in the garage & I also take it is a outdoor cat. Most likely your cat has sharp claws & the damage to the clear coat is severe. The only thing that you can do is try, there is nothing wrong with trying but I have a 95% assurance that this was a costly problem.

You can first try using some light polish & work your way up to medium to heavy duty if the scratches still remain. If all of this fails, you have no other choice than to use light duty rubbing compound.

You haven't stated how experience you are to using these products. If you are aren't sure or do not feel comfortable trying the above process, take your vehicle to a professional. He will be able to tell right away how deep the scratches are.

If the scratches are only light to touch, your problems are over & can be removed via the above process. If the scratches are deep & you can feel them with your nail, you might want to get insurance for your cat in case this happens again!

I have two cats myself, & they will never jump on the car again. They're very sure of that statement too! Now the cats only stay indoors. I have recently purchased a $150.00 scratching jungle gym for them to take out their natural instinct on.
January 22, 2002 01:00AM
i would recommend a little "green kool-aid"(anti-freeze). kills 'em every time!.no, just kidding. the cover is probably your best bet or a garage.
January 22, 2002 06:12AM
well its true you havnt mentioned if your expirience with detailing equipment such as a high speed buffer, if your not ready to use a high speed buffer then take it to a pro detailer, i say this because sure you can just cover them up for the meantime with wax or polish or glaze , but thats only for a while by hand, but if you want them to be gone for good then you will have to polish them out with a high speed buffer, some might not agree but believe me BUFF them out, a hand job is just a quick fix! and if they are too deep to be buffed out then your looking into whats called a " paint touch up" ask a pro...............
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login