Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Window water marks

Posted by Joey 
Window water marks
March 04, 2003 10:02AM
I have a 98 Civic that has pretty bad water marks on the windshield. Especially when it's cold and especially when I am using the windshield wipers in the rain. Is there any polish that will get rid of the water marks? Thanks.
Re: Window water marks
March 04, 2003 03:04PM
sounds like it is time to claysmiling smiley
1)use a good quality clay
2)after claying, use a VERY VERY light polish on the window.
3) use a GOOD quality window cleaner
4) treat with rain-x type product.

Diamondite has a 3 step system that is supposed to do the same thing as above, but in kit form and at this time must be ordered via internet or 800 number.
If you are in a hurry, autozone carries all the products needed for the above process.
March 04, 2003 03:43PM
Joey,

I live in an area that has real hard water and this is something that I deal with all the time. At my local car detailing suppler, I brought a chrome and window cleaner that I use and with little effort I can lift the water spots out. I then clean the windows with a mixture of 1/2 cup sudsey ammonia 1 pint 70% isopropyl alcohol 1 tablespoon dishwashing detergent, 1 gallon water of which I took from this web site.
That sets up the window for the final step. I use a aerosol can cleaner and micro fiber towels to finish. I yet to have any problems or smears on the windows, but make sure that your windows are cooled off.
One thing that I will say is that of all the process's in detailing a car this is the hardest for me.
March 04, 2003 04:02PM
P.S. vinegar also works good on watr marks for a cheap way outsmiling smiley
March 05, 2003 04:36AM
You have several professional choices:

1. Purchase a water spot remover from a detail supplier
2. Use a non-abrasive polish and "0000" steel wool. Apply polis to a
piece of steel wool and rub lightly over entire window. Let haze and
wipe off with clean towel.

Best window cleaner to use is a ready to use Windex type cleaner. You will get streaks from concentrated glass cleaners if they are not diluted to the exact ratio indicated on the container. 40 to 1 means 40 to 1. Any less will streak the window.

Regards
Bud A

buda
March 06, 2003 03:03PM
I tried a Spray Clay from Diamondite that worked pretty good, but none of the other products he sells works (Shield & Cleaner). Probably not worth the money and just use Buda's method.

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login