Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Crime Scene Cleanup

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Crime Scene Cleanup
March 07, 2003 07:55AM
Have done a great deal of research on the subject of cleaning up car interiors where a person has committed suicide or died in the car and was not discovered for a few weeks.

I will be posting the results by tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

I think you will find it can be a very lucrative business, if you can stand the work emotionally.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
Re: Crime Scene Cleanup
March 07, 2003 03:31PM
This really is not my cup of tea, but for some reason has my interest. I always like to look for a niche in the market this could be one. If I could stomach the work!
March 07, 2003 11:48PM
Sorry, on this one the Doctor is definitly out!

"Shhh...Da Doctor is Operatin!"
March 08, 2003 02:56AM
This subject is very interesting to me. I think that there is serious profit pontential in this area. It could be an area that you could seperate yourself from the rest of the "average" detailers out there.

If you wanted to you could charge whatever you wanted for this kind of work! Im interested in what I can do to possibly pursue this.

John
May 27, 2003 11:54PM
<HTML>I have heard that if a dead body sits in a car for a period of time that the smell gets into the plastic and carpet and even the metal, so bad that it can not be removed....I almost bought a vette that some dude comitted suicide in (the body sat in the car for two weeks)but after talking to some folks I found out that in order to get rid of the smell I would have to replace the whole interior and even that would not guarntee that there would be no odor.</HTML>
May 28, 2003 01:43AM
<HTML>Still doing research on the subject of bio-hazard cleaning and find it to be a complicated process.

I would suspect that the odor would permeate not only the carpets and upholstery and headliner but everything else in the car. But then vinyl and leather are not porous so how could the odor do more than be on the surface?

I would think that if you took out everything that was porous and replaced it. Then cleaned and shampooed everything else and then put a Ozone Generator in the vehicle with the air conditioner on it should get rid of the odor.

However, the odor got there it is still bacteria and all you have to do is destroy the bacteria that causes the odor.

Will double check this with my sources more informed on this than I.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 28, 2003 02:07PM
<HTML>I seen a program on the Discovery channel sometime ago on this. It featured a guy in Las Vegas who was into the crime scene clean up business. Both homes and cars or where ever there was a opportunity. He was kind of a ambulance chaser. You have to work closely with the local authorities and be very delicate when dealing with the families of the victims when approaching them about your services. If I remember right he was doing a car in which there was a suicide. The car was in a storage shed and it took some weeks to find it. The hardest part was to convince the survivg family to pay to have the car properly cleaned up. The cost was somewhere around $2000.00 to have it done and insurance company's do not pay for this service but I beleive require it done if you are going to put the car back on the road. To get into this business properly I think the start up cost is astronmical. You need bio haz suits etc etc. But if you can establish yourself the rewards are worth it. Sounds like a pretty tough road to hoe to me.</HTML>
May 28, 2003 02:39PM
<HTML>The inside of my wife's car looks like a crime scene></HTML>
May 28, 2003 03:34PM
<HTML>Keith:

Not to contradicty you, but in my on-going research I have spoken to one of the leading people in crime scene clean up who makes a great deal of money because no one wants to do this work.

The insurance companies, will according to him, pay for any and all cleanup, it is normally part of the coverage you have.

They pay, by the way for road paint removal; excessive tar removal and even paint overspray if your deductible is not too large.

The costs are not so astronomical, just some common sense protection gear.

The scarity part of this is that a detailer who exposes his employees to the bio-hazards without this protective gear is subject to fines of up to $50,000.

A lot of the work is generated by the insurance companies themselves.

Will keep you posted on this issue as I obtain more information

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 29, 2003 03:29AM
<HTML>I wish the episode would air again on Discovery because I found it very interesting. It would be a very informative way for you to gain a hands on insight Bud. It has been sometime since I have seen it and i have forgotten many of the details. I will go to their web site and perhaps you can buy a copy of the episode. I will let you know what I find out.</HTML>
June 01, 2003 12:10AM
<HTML>Amen Keith,

You are right the costs for this type of work is not cheap! Plus most Law Enforcement Agencies will not try to sell your service for you due to fear of being associated with the company, or fear of favoring a specific company!

I spent 15 years in Law Enforcement (Big Deal) and found most insurance companies hire the people to do the clean-up! So in defense of Bud if your interested in doing this type of thing the best avenue would be to contact Insurance Agents in your area!

Just remember the smell is only bad for awhile...and then it gets worse! Once you smell human death you will never forget it and smell it before you get to the scene! Old trick of the trade...buy a bottle of Vicks Vapor Rub...couple of snorts in each nostrils! Unfortunately the best it does is give you a menthol dead smell!!!!!

Gary</HTML>
June 01, 2003 11:17PM
<HTML>I don't think I'd want to do it. When I first started out, a friend referred me to one of his friends who "had a little blood" on his carpet. Apparently, the guy had dropped a glass into his sink and tried to catch it. The glass broke, bounced up and sliced into his arm. Another friend drove him to the hospital while blood must have gushed from his arm, because the whole front fenderwell was encrusted with blood. In addition, it had been about 10 days since this had happened, and the car had been sitting in the hot Dallas area June sun for the entire time with the windows rolled up tight.

When I first opened the door, I almost threw up the stench was so bad. Took a good hour to get it all out, and back then, I just had carpet shampoo and a wet vac. I did dump all the bloody water into the grass because there was no way in hell I was going to transport it with me. I swore then that I would no longer clean up blood stains. Ugh.

Besides, there is a company in Dallas that specializes in bio-hazard cleanup. They have billboards all over town!</HTML>
June 01, 2003 11:19PM
<HTML>I don't see anywhere to edit my post--not the front fenderwell, but footwell. Long day.</HTML>
June 02, 2003 04:04AM
<HTML>Scott,

Glad to see you here my friend, your advice and knowledge is a nice welcome.

This forum is going to be upgraded soon...I think, and itmay allow us to post pictures and the whole shot.

I once had to clean up a drunk teenagers upchuked pasta dinner mixed with wine and the car, like yours, was sitting a day in the hot humid South Texas sun and man-O-man did it stink!!

My wife was helping me in those early days and I just couldn't have her anywhere near the car or I would be cleaning up her lunch also. I don't think I could handle the whole death deal myself. Too much of a wimp. smiling smiley

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
June 02, 2003 04:17AM
<HTML>Anthony-I don't know if you go to [forums.offtopic.com], but someone posted a new Neon STR-4 that some guy blew chunks in, all over the interior and down the side. Some smartass in the thread said the owner of the car should contact me! Ugh.</HTML>
June 02, 2003 04:32AM
<HTML>Nope never been there. I am registered though at several car forums, BMW, Mercedes, NSX, VW and Audi and I hardly ever visit or post at them.

"Ugh" is right but it worries me even more that someone would take pictures of it and then post it. lol!

I did a BMW the other day and while vacuuming under the driver seat a pair of white Fruit of the Loom's got stuck at the end of my crevice nozzle. I am thinking to myself....."Man I hope this guy just didn't take these off!"

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
June 04, 2003 10:53PM
<HTML>For the morbid... or curious:

[www.aftermathcleaning.com]
[www.crimeclean-up.net]

As for the stench, it is mostly sulfur compounds produced by anaerobic bacteria which freely penetrate vinyl, plastic, cloth, foam, and leather (even coated) much like the plasticizers that coat the inside window of a new car after evaporating from vinyl/plastic. Bud is correct, you have to kill the bacteria. However, the odorous compounds must also be removed. You can degrade them with oxidants like ozone and bleach, but they also attack the fabric, vinyl, etc.

I'd rather clean up the vomit.....</HTML>
June 04, 2003 11:17PM
<HTML>TLC had one of those believe it or not shows on last night...A kid finds a car that he always wanted for a price he can afford and is really a deal....turned out someone died in the car.....any how....they went into the whole process of how a car would have to be cleaned.....its alot of dangerous work and in most cases involves tearing the car apart to get all the blood and guts out.</HTML>
October 05, 2003 04:41AM
<HTML>Man did this subject hit home. Bud, any more info on this topic?</HTML>
October 05, 2003 10:50AM
<HTML>I'm pretty sure that this is a problem I will never face, as I'm 90% sure that here in England, all such vehicles are destroyed.

But our premises is not too far from Stanstead airport... You would not believe (or maybe you would) what people leave in their cars when they park in the long stay car park while they go on vacation for two weeks.
My brother was until last year, a phorensic photographer, and he assures me that a two week old shoulder of lamb, frozen turkey, or packet of pork chops cannot compare to the fragrance of a two week old body. But we did one have an old lady who decided that as her cats would miss her while she was away, she would get them a special treat. So she went to the fish mongers and bought a big bag of fish heads. I do not exaggerate when I say that even with the windows wound up and the doors closed, you could smell this car from about 40yrds.

This is how we tackle this kind of problem. No surprises for guessing that you have to remove the offending material, but that is often easier said than done. Often you will have to replace a carpet or a seat.
Next, with the car still wet, we heat it to 37*c. This is body temperature and the optimum temperature for the bacteria, which causes the smell. Often you think you have eliminated the smell but it comes back when the sun comes out and it reaches this temp.
37*c is also the optimum temperature for bioactive enzymes, which will not harm a living thing, but will eat the decayed material. This causes the bacteria to starve to death, in which case they also become food for the enzymes. We then heat the car to 41*c which kills any left over enzymes (some people are sensitive).
Then its a case of treating the vehicle with disinfectant and ozone.

We have about a 85% sucess rate on the first attempt, some cars have to come back for a second go, and some you just can't fix no matter what you do.

hope this helps.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login