Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

just a few questions...

Posted by Joe Hayes 
just a few questions...
April 01, 2003 07:07AM
First off, what a great site. I must say, however, I am very confused about the proper way to make the car shine. Is it necessary to use a orbital buffer to apply/take off wax? I started using Zaino last year on my black Saturn and Trailblazer (BTW I'll never buy a black car again). What is the consensus on this product? I thought it worked very well but have never used anything else. This product was applied by hand. As far as cleaning the dash, what is recommended? I had been using armor all but am seeing that this is frowned upon. I have never been into detailing until my dabbling last summer. I had never done it on my cars before. I started to now because I love making that car shine. I appreciate the time anyone takes to answer my post. Thanks!
Re: just a few questions...
April 01, 2003 01:49PM
Zaino, BEST durability on the market. It is a SHOW CAR poilsh/sealer.
Like everything else..., you get what you pay for. IMO, Zaino is the BEST, but not for quickie "run 'em through" car washes, 'cause they wanna make money, so of course they are going to use the most cost effecient stuff..., it's all about money when you do it for a livingsmiling smiley

Zaino is best applied by hand, as an orbital wastes a LOT of product and it takes VERY little to apply.
I have personnaly applied 3 coats to a car using only 1oz!

The best I have used for the dash is 303 protectant. It has the most UV protection of any product I have tested/used. It also is not greasy feeling like some and actually help "repel" dust/dirt and not "attract" it.
It has a satin finish, not glossy. Glossy looks cheap to me, plus it's potential hazard of causing an accident by blinding reflections, so, for me the satin looks classy lasts a LONG time and really protects(not just looks like it is protecting).
April 01, 2003 04:35PM
I have seen lots of you people talk about Zano products. I have used them on my black BMW ( yes I'll never buy another black car again) I have say that the shine was real good but was not much better than what I see with other products costing much less. Maybe it was the way it was applied (by hand) or I do not have as trained an eye has other here. I have used 3M swirl removers and wax and glazes and have found the finish to be flawless. I'm currently using P&S products and the finish again is flawless.

So I just have to add that I do not see the hoopla over Zano, I know they are great but a cut above others on the market at less cash, that debatable.
April 01, 2003 04:40PM
Zaino is not a "cover up flaws" type polish. It is a protectant..., ONLY. As such, there is no cleaners, abrasives, fillers.
Dan
April 01, 2003 07:24PM
David, you should apply it to a finish you just polished or a finish that is already perfect and make sure it is cured. You can tell this by wiping with your finger over the waxed areas and if the wax comes off with shine underneath it, then it is cured, if it smears around, then it needs to set up a little longer. Just what Ive found with Zaino.
April 01, 2003 09:12PM
For the dash I too use either Meguiars or 303. I like the smell that Meguiars leaves (almost leatherlike) but I like the satin finish of 303. I use the 303 on my tires as well because I like the dull shine vs. plastic look. I carry both shiney and satin on my rig depending on customer preference.
For vehicle protection on my customers cars I use mainly Meguiars caranuba wax and for sealant I use Blackfire. Both products I like and they perform well. Just my opinion on this.

Doing what I love....and loving what I do
April 02, 2003 01:30AM
Woody, do you use the bulk dressing that Meguiars offers or do you use the stuff that is the cleaner/protectent that come in the spray bottle for about $10 a bottle? Just curious.

Alot of people might not realize that Meguiars offers a full line of detailing chemicals in bulk that are a little different in nature to the Mirror Glaze professional line we see around everywhere. They are designed and priced for detailers, body shops, and dealerships that need bulk. I was wondering which you prefered.

Thanks,
John
April 03, 2003 05:28AM
I have the Meguiar's in bulk. It is supplied in a one gallon container. I love the stuff. I actually bought this container on Ebay from a fellow at a very reasonable cost.

Doing what I love....and loving what I do
April 03, 2003 06:15AM
Yes I like it too. It isnt greasy or too glossy and the customers seem to really like the smell. I have had compliments on the fresh leather/new car scent and its from the dressing.

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login