Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Water spots/glass

Posted by turbomangt 
Water spots/glass
April 10, 2003 12:19PM
Greetings all, what you do guys do for water spots etched in glass/windows? Thanks turbomangt
Re: Water spots/glass
April 11, 2003 01:52AM
I am sure there are more out there but I know of two. I will be ordering both to try because that is a big problem here in NC. Classic Motoring sells product I think is called 100 Grand or 1000 Grand. Something like that. It is a pumic type material I gather that polishes away the spots. Pro products sells an acid based liquid form that does the same.

Doing what I love....and loving what I do
April 11, 2003 03:46AM
Woody,

One Grand makes a glass polish. They are the people who make One Grand Blitz. I hear the stuff makes a paste that buffs the blass really well.

John
April 11, 2003 02:51PM
I use a chrome and glass cleaner on windows and compound on the paint, but I have read on this BB that there are some chmeicals that can do a good job. Bud A always seems to have some good ideas.
April 12, 2003 06:43PM
You actually ask two questions here:

1. One is about water spots which can be removed, and the other is about
2. Etching, which cannot be removed easily.

WATER SPOTS

Water spots are nothing but the minerals in hard water that have dried. What you must do to get them off windows or paint is to get them dissolved again. You do this with "water-spot" remover which you can buy from any detail chemical supplier. You could probably even find some at a janitorial supply company and even in a discount store.

Or, you can take "00" or "000" steel wool and some glass polish or your swirl remover/polish and gently rub this on the windshield, let haze rub off an if necessary redue if not all gone the first time. Be certain to rub gently with steel wool.

DO NOT USE COMPOUND ON WINDOWS THE CHANCE FOR SCRATCHING IS TOO GREAT.

ETCHING SPOTS

Etching is not "water spots" it is spot-like penetration into the glass itself, in other words, "acid-rain" damage. The only way these can be removed, if they can even be removed, is by some type of buffing. I would hesitate to advise you to use a normal buffer and some compound to do this.

You can buy a glass polishing system that will remove etching and scratching and sand pock marks from the glass but they cost about $2195 for the system and material designed especially for the glass.

Regards
Bud A

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login