Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

scratches

Posted by melvin omps 
scratches
February 04, 2002 12:24AM
I would like to find out how to get surface scratches out of paint.
Re: scratches
February 04, 2002 06:13AM
We need some more info dude. Color? Clearcoat or no? Do you know what caused the scratches? Are they deep enough to feel with a fingernail?

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 05, 2002 03:17AM
Sorry, for not giving enough information about scratches on the Cavalier.
The scratches are not deep enough where you can feel them. The color
is teal blue, and it has clearcoat. The scratches were caused by a highway sign blowing on to the car. The scratches are on the hood, top and trunk. I have used Scratch X, and it helps but the scratches reappear after it has been washed a few times. Do you have any suggestions?
February 05, 2002 03:56AM
While it's possible that you will have to live with them, there are a few things that you can do to lesen how visible they are.

Start by going to an auto paint & body supply store. They will have shelves of products that will surely confuse you if you're not careful. What you are looking for is a medium grit polish, with no waxes or silicones. Some makes are actually numbered like grades of sandpaper to make this easier.

I have had good luck using the STRATA line of compounds. When absolutely nessessary, I will use their 1000 grit compound with a light mist of WD40 sprayedon the surface I'm going to be compounding (STRATA is oil based, and the WD40 thins the compound making it slightly less abrasive as well as adding some lubrication to further reduce the risks of using compound (can you tell I'm not fond of compounds?).

If you can, try and find a compound of about 1200-1500 grit (you should be getting into the polishing, not rubbing compounds by this point).

Going AGAINST the grain of the scratch, use a back and forth (or a narrow oval) movement with the compound. Don't use so much that you can't see the surface of the paint, because you will need to be keeping a close eye on things...as soon as the scratches begin to fade, you'll need to decide if you need to continue with the compound, or move on to a paint feeding polish such as Meguiars #3 or #7.

Once done with the compounding, use the feeding polish to take bring the gloss and depth back to the paint (this step may take several applications).

After that, wax it with the finishing product of your choice.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login