Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

liquid glass

Posted by turboman 
liquid glass
February 04, 2002 02:22PM
I was just reading the web site above, they do NOT suggest using wax over liquid glass. Now I assume this product falls in the sealer category rather than wax. In the debate we had earlier on this issue, it was a majority rule who said you can use wax over a sealant. Those that have used this product, what is your feedback on using anything on top of it? Thanks......as usual, I'm looking to try new things....

Re: liquid glass
February 04, 2002 02:46PM
It's doubtful that ANY sealant manufacturer will recommend putting a wax on over their product. Their concern is that if you try to put another layer of sealnt on the car, the wax will prevent proper bonding (valid concern), and the sealant will not work as designed.

However, as part of a SYSTEM, waxing overtop a sealant is still a valid method.

For example:

If I detail a car that is only done once or twice a year. I will start (each time) with an intense buffing (meaning 1-2 coats of machine applied #7), followed by 2 (or more) coats of a sealant (Liquid Glass or Finish First). Then finish off with a coat of carnuaba. Knowing that no other products will be applied to the car between detailings, the issue of wax interfering with the application of more sealant is moot.

Of course nothing is that easy, and there are many variables. If the car is going to have regular applications (monthly, twice a month etc.) starting with the method above, you could reapply the carnuaba as often as you like without ill effects.

If you, or the customer prefers a sealant, I would skip the carnuaba step to avoid any problems, and reapply the sealant once or twice (more often if you're anal like me) a month to maintain the finish.

Simply, yes you can apply wax over a sealant, but applying a sealant over a wax defeats the purpose, the sealant won't 'stick,' and you won't see the full benefits of the sealant.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 04, 2002 02:55PM
Don, thanks. That makes sense.....what do you suggest I try liquid glass or finish first. Any huge difference. Liquid glass is not the same as liquid "GOLD" right, I think the gold edition is a wax by Mequires, is that correct? appreciate your thoughts...tm

February 04, 2002 03:17PM
The Liquid Glass is good, and has excellent shine & gloss, but it's kind of "dry-looking" if you know what I mean. I prefer the Finish First (excellent shine, gloss and leaves the paint looking like it was sprayed on only a minute or two before, but I have to use the LG sometimes because being a small time detailer, I can't afford to stock up, and sometimes I run out sad smiley

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 04, 2002 04:32PM
Don, nothing wrong with being small. small is good. I'd rather spend my time doing a good job on one car, rather than knowing I had to hurry because five more are wating for me......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login