Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

aluminum wheels

Posted by David Henry 
aluminum wheels
February 04, 2002 10:45PM
I would appreciate any advice on cleaning baked-on brake dust from polished aluminum wheels. My tire/wheel dealer sold me aluminum polish and sealer. Is there any chemical or spray cleaner that would work faster? I don't care if I have to polish them after. The polish does take it off, but it is very slow and tiring. Thanks
Re: aluminum wheels
February 05, 2002 12:49AM
Although, I DON'T RECOMMEND IT, I have used VANISH cleaner on SEVERE brake dust-baked on crap built up on hubcaps with good results.

WARNING!!!!
If you chose to try this, gloves and EYE PROTECTION need to be used.

1) wet down the rim with the hose
2) spray a SMALL area with the VANISH
3) use a toothbrush to scrub the area
4) when done scubbing, rinse the whole rim thoroughly
5) move to the next area

Don't forget that I did this on a cheap hubcap, not an expensive rim. If I screwed it up, it was no big deal. If you mess it up....

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Dan
February 05, 2002 04:54AM
Try this, you have an electric drill right? Get a polishing attacthment , it looks like a miniature lightbulb, its very hard and a cream color, use a good metal polish such as Autosol and spin the compound with the drill and see if that doesnt take it off, or if you want to really play with your health, get an acid based wheel cleaner and like Don said, WEAR A MASK, GOGGLES, GLOVES AND DONT LET THAT STUFF SIT FOR LONG, ALSO NEUTRALIZE THE RIMS WITH A HAIR SHAMPOO, this will bring the PH level back to 7. I hope this helps
February 05, 2002 12:39PM
hmmmm interesting. those are some neat tricks. now, is their any product that you can put on these wheels to keep those wheels clean without excessive build up of that dust?

February 05, 2002 12:53PM
Frequent washing and use of a metal polish/wax...sorry that's the price you pay if you want shiny, non-clearcoated aluminum rims.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Dan
February 06, 2002 12:15AM
exactly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login