Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

URGENT! Suede

Posted by Willy Bermell 
URGENT! Suede
February 06, 2002 11:47AM
Hi all, I´ve come to this car that has suede (yes, I´m not drunk it´s suede!!) and it is full of stains and grease marks together with many other... I´ve tried with ordinary suede shoe cleaner but the problem is that when I try to lightly scrub the stain (as directed), the soft "hair" of the surface kinda "peels off"... I just returned the car to the customer telling him that the leather had been not cared for and now there was nothing that I could do. Any help or advise upon this matter for further cases?

Thanks very much!

Willy

Live a beautiful life, ride a beautiful car...
Re: URGENT! Suede
February 07, 2002 01:33PM
Can someone help out Willy, I don't like to see a question go unanswered. I would like to know myself as welll...

February 07, 2002 03:52PM
i would try blotting and not rubbing. you may also want to try this with a white cloth. if dirt is showing up on the cloth, the cleaner is working. a dry foam type cleaner will probably work.
February 07, 2002 03:54PM
what kind of car is it?
February 07, 2002 09:09PM
I think he did the right thing. Giving it back to the customer saying "Too much damage has already been done," was a wise choice. Perhaps recommending that the customer go to a shop that specializes in leather might not have been a bad idea either. It would help show that his main concern IS the customer's car and not his own bottom line.

I have had similar problems on a Mustang with "leather" (it wasn't real leather) interior. The stains etc. had soaked in, and there was NOTHING I could use to pull them out without totally ruining the 'leather.' I had to settle on the results I got from using a MILD Murphey's Oil Soap solution. I had detailed this car several times, and I flat out told the owner that the previous owner of the car didn't take very good care of it. I even pointed out the overspray on the lower panels where they didn't mask it right after the car was involved in an accident (THAT was news to him).

Be honest with the customer up front, if you don't think you can "fix" a problem, tell them. If you end up fixing it, you are a miracle worker, If not, they were told the truth ahead of time.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 08, 2002 05:15PM
yeah, i am still looking for the "miracle in a bottle"!lol.
February 08, 2002 05:47PM
Thanks for your different inputs, this car was a Lancia (italian car) Epsilon, and it was REALLY in a bad mess, there where stains and scratches all over it. I nearly tried the blooting option, I just rubbed the stains over with a white cotton towel...no luck!...

Willy

Live a beautiful life, ride a beautiful car...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login