Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

waffle pads

Posted by Bill Hoffman 
waffle pads
February 07, 2002 03:18AM
I have been using a finish pad to clean a clear coat on a Ford Exploder. While buffing things seem to be going fine, than I start to get a build up that is tough to remove and has the texture of a hard wax. What is it? And if you please, what is the benefit of using a waffle pad verses a Milwaukee Finish Foam pad?
Thanks in advance!
Bill
Re: waffle pads
February 07, 2002 12:53PM
Bill, I have ran into that same thing, only it sometimes happens when I'm polishing. Everything is going smooth, but on occassion a spot here and there has like you said a build up that won't be effected by the rotary. Then I have to stop, get a rag and rub it, it does come off by hand, but not the pad. Maybe some wisdom will be shared here to help us both...tm

Re: waffle pads
February 07, 2002 04:25PM
sounds like product build up. some products aren't really compatible with the different foam pads. some pads absorb more product than others. try cleaning the pad out more frequently. not familiar with the milwaukee finish pad, but both pads should be final finishing pads for best finishing results.
Shared Wisdom (LOL)
February 07, 2002 08:53PM
Many polishes (like the Meguiars I love) CAN be applied too thick. If this happens (usually on the first section you buff), it will look like a brown glue film on the paint.

The easiest way to get it off is to out A LITTLE bit of polish on a clean towel, and rub the spot. The fresh polish will break up the 'glob' that is stuck on the paint, and allow you to get on with the job.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Dan
Re: Shared Wisdom (LOL)
February 08, 2002 05:36AM
Sounds like your building up too much heat in my opinion and at the same time theres not enough product on the pad for all that heat your adding to the equation
February 08, 2002 02:01PM
I think it's more the nature of the beast than improper buffer/product use. That's just how the polishes (at least the Meguiars line) are. Especially on a 'never been buffed before' surface.

No big deal. Just take some polish on a clean cloth, 'clean up' the build up, and continue buffing.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 08, 2002 05:08PM
the q.d. sprays will work too.
February 09, 2002 01:03AM
Thanks guys, all greatly appreciated.
bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login