Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Chevy Floor Mats

Posted by Joey 
Chevy Floor Mats
February 10, 2002 11:18AM
Hey I got a 1991 Full Size Chevy pickup with rubber floor mats. (http://www.geocities.com/camaroguytlt/truck.html) The same mats that are in most Chevy pickups/SUVs of that generation. Whever I see these mats in other trucks, they are always stained! Does anyone know how to get these stains out? Mostly the 'stains' just look like permanently worn-in dirt or something...Someone I know tried to use deluted tire degreaser and all it did was kind of fade the color of his mats, and almost looked melted into it!!! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Joey
Re: Chevy Floor Mats
February 10, 2002 05:45PM
If you don't have access to an extration machine, spray the mat with a mixture of 50% Castrol Super Clean & water, with one scoop of OXIClean (in a 32 oz bottle). Let it soak for several minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush. Hang the mat over a clothes line or fence and rinse the hell out of it with the garden hose (a high pressure hose at a self serve wash would be excellent).

Repeat until you're satisfied, or it's as clean as it will get.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 10, 2002 07:03PM
This is a common problem with the factory rubber mats. You can use all degreasers with the limited amount of solution & the rubber mats will still be stained. This has been the poorest quality of rubber mat that GM has put out for the last ten years.

To be honest with you, you have two choices, one is to clean the mats the best that you can & also put the clear mats over the original mat to prevent any further staining. Second, is to consider switching to a carpet mat rather than the factory rubber mats.

I'll tell you now, we have been testing all cleaners on such factory rubber mats & still have not come out with an correct solution to your fix. This is due to the rubber content that the mat is made up of. Also, not in favor is the heat build up in the cabin of the vehicle & dries up the rubber also. You might want to really consider the above solutions or come up with one of your own. Good Luck with your sources.
February 11, 2002 12:43AM
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go with those cool Xtreme floor mats that our parts department sells. They look like the same kind of material that is used in Line-X spray-in bed liners. The parts manager has them in his truck and he says he loves them.
February 11, 2002 06:38AM
Joey,

Toddco is right, I didn't read your post close enough the first time. Once those mats start to go, their done, no amount of scrubbing will EVER get them clean.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 15, 2002 12:06AM
Trash em and go buy some new ones.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login