Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tire washin' and polishin'

Posted by Ed Iverson 
Tire washin' and polishin'
February 11, 2002 10:34PM
Hello gentlemen! I have been searching for a product with which to clean my tires. the only thing I can find at the local stores (Auto zone, Partsplus)
is the spray-on stuff. I'm assuming a general degreaser would do as well, but wanted to get your proffesional opinion before I start down a potential wrong road! The tires currently have on them Tirewax by Turtlewax, and it seems to last well, although being quite "greazy". If there is a general recipe for cleaning tires before the dressing is applied, I'd be most appreciative! I thank you for your help in this matter!
-Ed
Re: Tire washin' and polishin'
February 12, 2002 06:16AM
Spray on a strong mix of (or undiluted) Castrol Super Clean on all 4 tires. Let it soak until it dries. Then, one tire at a time, respray the Castrol, scrub them with a stiff brush (soaking the brush in water before scrubbing helps big time) and rinse.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 13, 2002 04:29AM
one remarkable product i use as a tire prep is eagle one tire cleaner.1wet tire.2apply liberally to tire.3scrub sidewall with stiff nylon bristle brush(KLEENWERKS personally uses cleantools whitewall brush)4rinse.do one tire at a time.been using this method and products for over a decade with perfect results every time. all you do now is dry your tires and apply your favorite tire dressing.
February 13, 2002 12:41PM
I tried the Eagle One tire Cleaner once...then the local stores pulled it in favor of the multiple variety of wheel cleaners. It was good stuff though.

Since then I have found it to be cheaper and easier just to buy the Castrol Super Clean, and dilute as needed for the current job.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
February 13, 2002 01:03PM
my favorite dressing is creamy garlic

February 14, 2002 12:06AM
Turboman, I've heard that creamy garlic won't spin off the tires, and stays on for weeks, not just days! Thank you all for the valuable insights!
Bon appetit!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login