Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Brand New Car - Hairline Scratches

Posted by John Johnstone 
Brand New Car - Hairline Scratches
September 12, 2003 01:12AM
<HTML>I just got a new black car 2 months ago. I'm a newbie to auto detail. With my washing and waxing (using "100 cotton towels" that really were not) i made a ton of hairline scratches on my paint. And since my car is black it looks terrible!!

I need your expert advice. I want to get rid of them or fill them in. what product should i use? i want to do this by hand, i have no skill with any machines. should i use scratchX?
or 3M remover? or a glaze to fill in the scratches?</HTML>
Re: Brand New Car - Hairline Scratches
September 12, 2003 01:24AM
<HTML>by the way the scratches are very thin. they only can be seen in certain kind of light (direct sunlight/floresent) and when you go about 2-3 feet close.

i'm afraid of destroying my clearcoat too, since its a new car.

I don't mind filling them in, which will preserve my clearcoat?

or do i buff them out, but that will get rid of my clearcoat too?</HTML>
September 12, 2003 09:39PM
<HTML>help please!!</HTML>
<HTML>John..clearcoat is actually very durable under normal use, and it is on average about 1.0 to 1.5 mm thick.

Black is almost impossible to keep permanently scratch free , just driving down the road will probably put a scratch in it sometimes.

To be honest, if you fill them in, your just going to be throwing money at it , as they will still be there when the filler wears off and you'll be back to where you started,and I have never used a product by hand to remove scratches by hand so I cant tell you how effective that will be. So actually invest your money in having it taken care of by a pro , rather than waxing it over and over again.

My suggestion would be to simply find a good detailer in your area and have it lightly buffed to remove the scratches and then apply a good sealant to the paint to help reduce any further scratching.

Hope this helps..

Jim</HTML>
September 15, 2003 07:24PM
<HTML>thanks for the help Jim!!

another question. would be more advantagous to just let the scratches be instead of buffing down the clear coat? the car doesn't look to bad and i'm more concerned about long term care. so should i just leave it alone if I don't mind how it looks?</HTML>
September 16, 2003 02:02AM
<HTML>John , if it's really not too bad, then you may as well leave them for now . To be honest, driving a black car you'll get scratches just driving around the block. As long as they are not too bad and you can live with them, then let them be.

I would still suggest you get a good paint sealnt on your car though.

Jim.</HTML>
September 16, 2003 09:43AM
<HTML>John -
I also have a new black car with fine hairline scratches in the paint. I have tried Scratch-X and Zaino Z5.......niether one worked. If you can live with it,leave it alone for the time being.

Regards,
Ron</HTML>
September 16, 2003 08:31PM
<HTML>thanks for the help guys!

so a good selant will help prevent future scratches? what is a good easy to use selant? i tried getting my hands on more Zaino but its almost impossible to get it where i live, even by mail. so what other selants should i look for?</HTML>
September 17, 2003 12:28AM
<HTML>You can get Zaino from their website. Shipping should be cheap unless you live outside the 48 in which case you have to do a little more work.

I see your email address is Hawaii. If this is the case then I live in NY and for me to ship as far away as my grandparents in Hawaii is not too bad. I would say somthing that size might be about $10 - $15 max.

For Zaino in Hawaii email the following person...

Joie Yuen
Aiea, HI 96701
808-487-7467
Email: aejj@aloha.net

For me the Z2 sealant is somthing like $20 shipped. The ZFX he might try to talk you into works, but it is very expensive. But you dont need much. I'd buy it.

~Rick</HTML>
September 17, 2003 04:16AM
<HTML>John-when you look at the scratches straight on, can you see white in the bottom of them? Also, does the scratch catch your fingernail when you pull it across the scratch?</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login