Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

pressure washer

Posted by ck 
ck
pressure washer
September 12, 2003 03:48PM
<HTML>some ppl say that not use pressure washer because it will cause scratches when it spray over the paint surface, is it right?</HTML>
Re: pressure washer
September 13, 2003 02:31AM
<HTML>Scratches could be caused if the tip of washer hits paint, but normally, under most conditions, the washer will not cause scratches. This is one reason "touchless" washes have become so popular. Nothing touches the paint except water. Most small scratches are caused by dirt collecting in your cloth when washing. Imagine a small grain of sand stuck to your towel, washing the entire vehicle. Not good. Pressure washer takes all your chances away of that happening.

jer</HTML>
ck
September 13, 2003 04:46PM
<HTML>jerry,

what i mean is the pressure will make the dirt into paint and cause scratches, will it?</HTML>
September 14, 2003 10:15PM
<HTML>Been using a pressure washer for years and have had no problems personally! But with anything you use if your not careful you can cause damage!

Gary</HTML>
September 29, 2003 02:24AM
<HTML>I also have a pressure washer which i have used on mine sites and now in my detailing business.

I personally only use the pressure washer on the engine bay and under body.

On vehicles duco i use a slow running hose letting the water sheet off the surface. This ensures no scratching.

Cheers,

Scott</HTML>
September 29, 2003 03:57AM
<HTML>Pressure washers to my knowledge do not scratch paint. They can take paint off if there is a chip and the water gets under the chip.

It is mentioned about touchless washes which use chemical and high pressure to clean cars. Yes, they are quite popular because the perception is that they are more safe than friction washes.

That is plain HOGWASH!!!!!

The semi-effective touchless washes use a combination of hydroflouric acid and high alkaline chemical to remove dirt and oil film. The same two-step process that has been used for years to clean the aluminum trailers of the over the road rigs. Hydroflouric acid is used on aluminum because it literally burns off the coating. It is often called "aluminum brightener."

That aside, think about this, if the process takes off the "oil film" what does it do to the wax, which is oil based, that you put on the car? Right, it strips it right off. The chemicals cannot distinguish between oil film and oil in wax or wax itself.

Touchless washes are a joke to the professional carwash operator as waterless wash is to a professional detailer. They do not clean a dirty car without some type of pre-washing first.

Who buys them? Oil companies who could care less about cleaning cars they just want to sell gasoline and their statistics tell them that gas stations with a touchless wash sell more gas. And, investors new to the business buy them. But a pro who makes their living washing cars only use friction.

Just a few well intentioned thoughts on the subject.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 29, 2003 04:40AM
<HTML>Thanks Bud. That was absolutely enlightening!!! I'll never go through a brushless again.

As for power washers, I've used a small electric (1650 psi) in my mobile biz. They're nice for applying the soap, especially to RV's, but I still have to scrub the surface with my soft brush. Then I rinse with the high-pressure using the wide fan pattern. It works good, but I can get the same result with a hose and a bucket for the usual car jobs. But for RV's, boats, large trucks and SUV's, the power washer's the way to go. Keep in mind though that just even though you use a power washer, chances are it's not going to remove that gritty, oily road film from the surface. Nothing will ever replace a thorough scrubbing with a mitt or brush.

Rod</HTML>
Dan
September 29, 2003 02:21PM
<HTML>Pressure washers are the absolute way to go for day in day out detailing period! They are safer than flowing water because they remove more dirt before you start washing, they also remove stuck dirt and dust from cracks which can leak out while you dry and cause scratches. However they can be dangerous if you get to close or use a high psi rating, I stick to 2000 psi. They also use less water and get the job done in a fraction of the time.

Turbo, you can take your pressure washer to a muffler shop and have them customize your exhaust on your pressure washer, or you can run the pressure washer outside and get a longer hose for it to work indoors, reels are nice to have as well. Good luck!</HTML>
September 29, 2003 10:22PM
<HTML>I have built a few mobile units since 1987 and the first ones were all just a shallow well pump, tank and water hose (plus chemicals etc.). These units worked well for me. The last unit I built I bought a pre-built sled with tank and pressure washer, HP hose w/reel. The pressure washer is up to 4000 psi minus the loss of sucking water from the tank. At low pressure, it is a dream for rinse, at higher pressure it is great for wheels and wells as well as love bugs. HOWEVER, it will remove paint in a flash if it hits a rock chip or love bugged chip. It will knock mirrors off, it will remove pinstirping, it will take off stickers. In short, it can do more damge than good of used improperly.
It aslo renders filterd water useless for spot free rinsing. Something about the pressure...perhpas Bud might explain why.
But since I also do larger vehic. I would not trade it for a well pump driven machine. I have learned how to use my machine and am very happy with it. But some days I do miss just having a water hose and pump. My trailer has no space left for the change. I can do everything with a hose that I can do with a washer but it can take more effort.</HTML>
September 30, 2003 12:32AM
<HTML>Bud,

I'm interested in the Hydroflouric acid you mentioned in the thread to "brighten" aluminum. Will it bring it to a high shine, or just prepare it for polishing? I recently polished a small aluminum fishing boat with my rotary and some aluminum polish. This worked well and brought the finish to a high shine, but always looking for a better way.

thanks, jer</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login