Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Polished Aluminum Wheels

Posted by dan schaub 
Polished Aluminum Wheels
September 14, 2003 05:26AM
<HTML>I just made a major mistake. I used Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner thinking that the wheels on my car are chrome, when in fact they are polished aluminum.

Question one: Have I ruined my wheels with this stuff??

Question two: If I have not how can I get them back to thier original condition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.</HTML>
Re: Polished Aluminum Wheels
September 14, 2003 02:50PM
<HTML>Dan , possibly. I have never used this type of wheel cleaner so I dont know what it does.

You may find that your wheels are actually coated in a thin protective film, in which case your fine as the Meguiars wheel cleaner is ok on this according to their website. Most OEM wheels are actually clearcoated at the factory with a spray on powder which is baked on to give a smooth shiny look.

If your wheels are Anodized then you may well have a problem . As you say your wheels are polished aluminium I'm going to guess they are actually Powder coated wheels. If your wheels are smooth to the touch they are usually clear coated, if not then they are Anodized . If they are anodized then I dont know of anything that will remedy the problem.

What type of vehicle is it, and are the wheels original equipment ?

Jim.</HTML>
September 14, 2003 05:02PM
<HTML>Jim,

I emailed you a pic of the wheel and an explanation of my dilemma. If you've got any ideas or solution please advise.

Thanks for your help!

DS</HTML>
September 14, 2003 06:06PM
<HTML>Dan, thanks for the pic.

The only product we use in our shop is Metal Brite from Car Brite. We have found this safe to use on all surfaces and it does give a nice shine. It also has a silicone in it that according to the Car Brite webpage says " Leaves silicone film to protect surface against further oxidation ". I have also heard of people putting car wax on wheels to give a little more protection, but I dont know if I would reccommend this, simply because I am one of those people who are anal about such things , only put a product on a surface for which it is designed type of thinking.

CarBrite products are not available for retail sale so you might have a hard time finding it unless you contact a local distrubitor. We pay about $17.00 for a Quart .

In your e-mail you said that you used 'Mother Chrome Polish' . I know a lot of they guys on this forum use this product and speak very highly of it , so if you fixed the problem using that then stick with it . I have used Mothers polish recently, and it is a good product, but for me the Metal Brite is a lot better, but thats just my opinion.

Good luck,.

Jim .</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login