Can you help a lady buy an E-type, pretty please
February 05, 2003 03:15PM
Hello Guys!

I'm a woman, who even as a girl, drooled over the E-Type. I would love to get a convertible roadster but am looking to you guys to give me advice about what I should pay and which years I should consider.

Here's what I would like the car for: pure, weekend fun (and some weekdays), without having to call a tow truck.

I don't want or need to show the car, but I'm one of those people who likes to have everything working. I know a reproduction might be a bit more cost effective but I'd like to buy an original.

I'd like it to be working and in good condition inside and out, since you won't find me tinkering and under the hood.

Also, is it better to buy one that needs to have some restoration work on it, or one that's in tip-top condition. I want to be cost effective b/c I don't have a fortune to spend on this purely luxurious and whimsical purchase.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Cheers,
Meehna
<b>Re: Can you help a lady buy an E-type, pretty please</b>
February 06, 2003 09:25PM
<HTML>Meehna:

>> without having to call a tow truck.

>> since you won't find me tinkering and under the hood.

I hate to say it, but your statements indicate that an E-Type might not be for you.

You could find an E-Type roadster in excellent condition, but even the best of them are not reliable to the extent that it appears you require.

Any successful E-Type ownership would require the owner to be at least "aware" (for lack of a better term) of the car and it's maintenance requirements. You cannot treat it like a modern car and just drive it and expect it to always serve you.

A number of E-Type owners are not mechanics and hire that function out. Be aware however that those expenses are high, sometimes even brutally so.

I don't mean to discourage you, but the concern is that without an understanding of the realities of E-Type ownership, your purchase could end up as a disaster.

Regards,

Paul Pollock,
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
Re: Can you help a lady buy an E-type, pretty please
February 25, 2003 03:51PM

Meehna:

Must second Paul Pollock's comments. You'll have to pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel of my E Type to take it away from me, but they do require vigilance. One always needs to be checking under the hood to make sure that everything is as it should be. Ignoring the maintenance needs of the car will result in a very frustrating ownership experience.

Jeff MacGregor
Re: Can you help a lady buy an E-type, pretty please
March 14, 2003 03:44AM
I'll also second the comments of the above writers. However, if you can find a mechanic who really knows and understands these cars, they can be pretty reliable. A few other caveats, the 65 thru 67 cars are the most reliable, although the earlier cars may be a bit more fun to drive. The earlier cars are subject to the block splitting between the cylinders, and they relocated the cylinders in 1965 for the 4.2. The 68 and later cars don't respond well at all to the 2 carb setup. An expample of maintenance, there are about 30 grease fittings and they must all be greased at 2500 mile intervals. The cars like 98 octane gasoline, which is available here in Rochester for $3.49 a gallon, prior to the price runup. A couple of things not too obvious to look for, have someone slightly rev the engine, maybe to about 2000 RPM, and standing in front of the car with your head in the bonnet opening, listen for a slight tinkle when the driver releases the accelerator. If audible, timing chains are on the way out. The noise occurrs as the engine revs down. This is an expensive repair. Also, repairing the handbrake is very expensive, so verify that it works. The car should be free of rattles, although a slight creak from the hood is normal. Almost every old Jaguar I've seen has been destroyed by ignorant mechanics, so be very careful. Hopefully, you have lots of money and live on the west coast, where there may be a few good mechanics. Best of luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login