Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What to buy

Posted by Martin 
What to buy
August 01, 2003 10:19AM
Hi,

I have always loved E-types ever since getting a lift in one as a kid. I'm getting seriously interested in buying one (and more importantly she who must be obeyed has ok'd it) :-)

The problem I have is that I really don't know that much about the different models. Does anyone have any clues as to what I should aim for or avoid. I'm pretty sure I want a green one and a V12 but otherwise I'm really clueless. Any advice or help gratefully received and I'm sorry this is such a basic question. I'll lurk for a while and learn from you guys.

Regards

Martin
<b>Re: What to buy</b>
August 02, 2003 04:32PM
<HTML>Martin:

First question is: Do you want an open (convertible) or a closed car? The coupes have significant advantages, so there is a lot to be said for going that route. But most people want the wind in their hair, and the market reflects this fact with significant increases in prices for the OTS (Open Two Seater) cars.

Just curious, why are you inclined towards the V12?

Are you looking at this purchase as an investment? In other words, would you like to see the car increase in value during the ownership?

Are you mechanically inclined or willing to work on the car? Also, where are you located?

Regards,

Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster</HTML>
What to buy
September 29, 2003 02:10AM
Martin,

My advise to you is not to buy an E-Type until you know what you want. This is only possible through research and networking with other E-Type owner's. Since we could represent anything from a Series I to a Series III the net result would be that we love E-Types and that doesn't help you. Use the same method of finding an E-Type as you found a mate. Afterall, they are both extremely complicated creatures!
Re: What to buy
October 03, 2003 03:08AM
Martin, Being the owner of a '63 (series I) roadster for the last 25 years, I can tell you of the advantages and disadvantages of owning one of these beauties! I'm sure that there are a lot of series II and III owners out there that are willing to share their stories as well. Looking forward to hearing from you. T. Jones
October 05, 2003 01:27AM
Martin, here are a few observations about owning a series I car. First, you have the really early series I cars with flat floor pans and external bonnet locks and the 3.8 liter engine coupled to a "moss" gearbox that had no synchomesh in first gear and (sort of) in second, pretty good in third and fourth no problems. Speaking from 25 years experience, this gear box is hard to get used to and presents a challenge to shift smoothly both up and down. I learned to do a lot of double clutching and still I can look and sound like a total incompetent when driving! Another thing is the cooling system. With that big 6 cylinder engine up front putting all that heat out, the car acts like one beautifully designed heat sink, especially here in Florida. Be sure the system is O.K. the 3.8's only have this 2 blade fan with a very narrow chord which does not move a whole lot of air while sitting in traffic. On the road, no problem on a cool day which here is Nov. through March. On my car I have the "shell back" seats. These only slide fore and aft a few inches, the backs are not adjustable. The interior also has aluminum inserts of either a dot pattern or a cross and dot pattern. With the top down on a bright sunny day a lot of reflected light comes your way. Later on in the 3.8 liter engined cars, floorpans were dropped for more leg room. In 1964, an all synchro gear box was mated to an engine that was increased displacement to 4.2 liters. Some other refinements also took place, but a lot of purists like the 3.8 series one the best, I guess for the simple reason that it is really a classic sports car. There are times when I get into the mode of thinking that I'm going to sell this thing and use the money for something else, but when I go out to where the car is kept and slide open the door, it still takes my breath away, even after 25 years!!!
January 30, 2004 06:47PM
I have a 1968, E-Type Jaguar for sale. It is a 6 cylinder (The 12 cylinder was a mechanics dream, but an owner's nightmare.) The driver seat is on the left side. It is champane green (original color repainted). The leather seats have been reupholtered

Contact me directly for photo and details.

JOHN G. SHARP
distinctions@bwn.net
March 04, 2004 06:26PM

Beg to differ here John with your comment regarding the V12. A properly maintained V12 is pretty bullet proof. Just don't overheat it.

Jeff MacGregor

1971 Series III 2+2
March 12, 2004 05:21PM

John:

I respectfully disagree with your comment on the 12 cylinder engines. The V-12 is dead reliable if maintained properly. Owner's who think they can treat the engine as if it were a Chevy V-8 will have trouble, and deserve it.

Regards,

Jeff MacGregor
1971 Series III 2+2
March 12, 2004 05:28PM

Ooops. Sorry for the repeat post - thought my previous post didn't make it.

JM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login