XKS?
August 26, 2003 12:53AM
HI Folks

As I am new to this forum please pardon my lack of E-Type knowledge.

I am very excited to be looking at my first E-Type. The seller said it is a rare car. I think he said it was sort of sport model. It has 3 webers not 2. If I remember right he called it a XKS. Any insight into this would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance Dan
Re: XKS?
August 26, 2003 02:06PM

Dan:

If you were looking at an E Type the owner might have referred to it as an XKE. Three carburetors would mean that this was a Series I car which were produced from 1961 to 1967. The carburetors on the Series I cars were SU carburetors, not Webers. If, in fact they are Webers, you are not looking at an original car and I would be very wary. The owners comment that it is a "rare car" raises a flag; although the Series I is a very desirable car and not seen on the road every day it is not rare in the sense that a 427 Cobra or a Ferrari GTO is rare. Also calling the car "sort of a sports car" is an odd choice of words for the owner to use; the Series I is known by car enthusiasts as one of the purest sports cars and true "drivers' cars" ever produced. It doesn't sound as if this owner is very knowledgable about his car - not a good thing when it comes to E Types.

I don't mean to discourage you but do yourself a favor and become very knowledgeable about E Types, their quirks and what to look for when buying one. There are many books on the subject as well as plenty of info on the web. Owning a solid well cared for E Type is a rewarding experience, but owning a poorly maintaind one will be a hellish one.

Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login