eType trip planning
December 05, 2007 05:30AM
I have just purchased a 1967 e-type Series 1 2+2 4.3 ltr (automatic)sad smiley. I haven't even seen the car, but I am buying it from a dear friend(an ex right stuff test pilot) who has owned it for the last 38 years and I trust his description. The car has 89,000 miles on it, mostly around Albuquerque NM. Zero rust, kept indoors, interior fair to good, exterior good to excellent. Has sat for long periods but currently runs and drives okay. All original (except maintenance parts).

I want to drive it home from Albuquerque to Santa Barbara, CA...call me crazy, but I think this car deserves the trip. Trip is 900 miles through nowhere...AAA will tow me up to 200 miles once.

Car does not appear to have any large problems but has not gone on a long trip like this since I was a toddler. I think I should at minimum change the tires (fine tread, but old), they are 185/70 R15s. A reasonable replacement would seem 195/65-15---any issues there? What are issues when changing tires on these old wire knock offs?

Also feel that before the trip I should have the following done:

Standard tune up
Standard oil and lube,
Flush radiator replace all hoses coolant and thermostat
shange atf fluid
change fuel filter
change rear diff fluid
check all belts
check battery
check brakes: suspension: steering.

Spares to carry: belts, filters, hose and fittings, anti-freeze, engine oil, atf,

Thanks so much and lookig forward to joining the Cat world. She;s Opalescent Blue with a blue leather interior and gray carpeting

All advice appreciated
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login