Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Suggestions: Restore or sell an original '70 GTO

Posted by Michael Lyons 
Suggestions: Restore or sell an original '70 GTO
November 18, 2002 05:22AM
This car has been sitting outside for years. It's accumulated superficial and serious rust, the interior is a mess. Seems to me I'm going to need a lot of parts, time and money to get this baby back to being the beauty she once was-and deserves to be again.
On the positive side the motor is strong and the car still chirps into second. I've had a love affair with this car in the past.
So am I thinking about starting a project destined for disappointment?
Are parts, and information available?
Any advantages being in Dallas?
Re: Suggestions: Restore or sell an original '70 GTO
November 18, 2002 07:57AM
Hi Michael, restore it! There seems to be plenty of swapping of parts going on. On my own site there seems to be a fair bit of activity. there are a few parts here. [restored-classics.com]
and links where you can list any parts that you might want.

30 years old is around the time these Classics seem to all get scrapped. . . Then a few years later you hear people asking. . 'where did they all go?'

Make it last another ten years, there will be a lot less of around then..
Hey Michael, I agree with Pat, I think you should restore it. If the car is paid for and it's not costing much to keep it, you should do so. It's only going to up in value. The 70 is considered by many to be the best looking goat. Also you don't have to restore it all at once. I'm doing mine little by little. I have an original 70 gto and let me tell you it's a joy to drive. The best part is blowing the doors off of the snobs in the Porsche's & BMW's.

Many Blessings,
Mark

December 11, 2002 03:12AM
Michael

I agree with the other responses - If you love the car restore it (it sounds rough,but something to work with)

I just got burnt (bad) on a project so my advice is be patient and do your homework. I now have a new project - a 71 convertible GTO - I can't wait to get started!! - It's an addiction!!!!

Good Luck
Mark
January 09, 2003 06:38PM
Michael

DEFINITELY restore it, it will be well worth it for you. For one the money you could get for it as the years go on (retail on a restored 70 right now is around 18k 19k) Secondly for the pride and pleasure of having a good running great looking one of a kind muscle car. I myself have a 70 gto that I'm just finishing restoring just need some fenders and paint. Parts are pretty easily accesible, and if you have problem join the GTO association nearest you, it helps out alot with finding parts, if you need help finding parts e-mail me, but please please restore it's nice to see a fellow Goat on the road especially a 70!!!!!

Nick
January 09, 2003 06:40PM
sorry e-mail is Sports1441@aol.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login