Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New guy needs help

Posted by DJ Brown 
New guy needs help
January 18, 2003 11:45PM
Just got married wife interested in restoring a GTO as a family project. What kind of stuff would I need to consider before undertaking a project like this? Keeping in mind this is the first muscle car that I will have ever restored. Spend most of my time on ricers. What kind of condition would you guys suggest the car be in?
Re: New guy needs help
February 05, 2003 01:41PM
the first thing to consider is your budget obviously the rougher the car the pricier it gets unless you are capable of doing the body work yourself. look for a car with a solid frame and the best body you can find. I suggest you go to ebay motors and click on collector cars they have specif makes for sale such as pontiac gto this is a good place to start there always a good selection of restorable gto,s with pictures hope this help,s
March 13, 2003 09:14PM
Does your wife have a sister? Great Catch!

Check Hemmings Motor News, too.

Be careful! Once you buy a GTO, it'll get under your skin and you'll be hooked. I've owned ricers and a 1966 GTO. The GTO is a definite "keeper". Ricers are good for long trips, getting groceries, and taking corners. The GTO is for everything else!

Just don't buy a LeMans and put a GTO hood on it.
March 18, 2003 04:57PM
Where do you start when restoring a car. I have a 1966 GTO that needs resotred. The body is in decent condition. Truck is rusted out and there is a little spot on the driver floor board where it rusted through. Where do I begin?
May 20, 2003 06:08AM
if i were doing it all over again... rule 1: absolutely throw NOTHING away, i found that restoring original parts are higher quality than replacement parts. go to pontiac historical services and get your build sheet and window sticker, Next, gut it out, get an air compressor with a sand blaster attachment. Move your residence a couple of times, it just seems to work out that way. Every paycheck order something from one of the GTO restoration catalogs. Chase away the rust, rebuild and clean everything before putting it back on so it wont bug you later. Curse at it, get another credit card and some band-aids. Lose interest, refind your inspiration and all of a sudden, you are cruisin the father of muscle cars. awesome choice and a cool wife. congrats.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login