Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Buying 66 GTO Conv. is it worth asking price?

Posted by Aaron Mc 
Buying 66 GTO Conv. is it worth asking price?
April 23, 2003 02:50AM
I found a 66 GTO Convertible sitting in weeds. The car has 389 and has light rust on lower fenders with tiny holes. Never been wreicked and body is straight and no ripples were seen. The interior is intact though all needs to be restored. Car has not been started in 10 years though was said to be running when parked. The top is gone though the ribs (??) look intact. The seller wants 5K for it and I have tried to talk him down with no go. This is my dream car and I want it for a project. NO PS, no AC installed on car and not really sure if it originally came with it. I am not restoring for show, just as a driver. I don't want to get taken and if this seems too high I will keep looking though I have not found another in 6 months since Ihave been looking.

Please help.

Aaron
b
Re: Buying 66 GTO Conv. is it worth asking price?
May 09, 2003 08:25PM
As long as it's a real GTO, it sounds like a deal to me. I've passed up a few deals I regret over the past couple of years. These cars are becoming increasingly difficult (and expensive) to find....especially when it comes to project cars.
May 10, 2003 03:14AM
Aaron, What is your time worth?? You can look for years to find the right car and maybe?? save a thousand $$. If you like the car buy it and start on it before someone else does. Then you will be finished with it before you would ever find another ragtop GTO. Do your research and make sure it is a GTO and ask for any documentation that the owner might have as well as who he bought it from. Sometimes that will lead to very interesting stuff on the car. Good luck! Daniel
May 10, 2003 03:35AM
Thanks guys. I had taken your advice before you gave it. haha I have bought the car. It is a real GTO and boy is she ugly. The interior can not be restored, but will have to be replaced. Oh well. I look forward to cruising in my ragtop in a few years. woo hoo!!!

She has a face only a daddy could love, but I am her daddy!
May 10, 2003 07:45AM
5K is not that bad. I bought my 70 Judge out of a guys front yard. I sent off to PHS for the ducuments to verify that it indeed was a Judge. And as it turned out it was a 22 option Judge. It needs to be totaly restored as well. But it was the real thing. I paid 4K for mine after I had the documentation. But I haven't seen one for sale since. And that was over two years ago. And I almost sold it in the thought that I could just get another one. But now that I am looking around. Actuall documented 70 Judges are pulling over 30K totaly restored. So I think I will just keep it, and restore it. Believe me, they are getting very hard to get your hands on. You might never find another one like it for that price.

70 Judge in the works!
May 16, 2003 05:39AM
way to go, i would give 5k for a real convertible gto any day, the VIN tag was worth it alone. if it has doors and a hood and that damned left headlight bezel, that is only a bonus, go nuts, you will be glad you did.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login