Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

67 4sp with no console?

Posted by James Galloway 
67 4sp with no console?
May 20, 2003 01:45AM
I just bought a finished 67 GTO, 400/4sp, but it does'nt have a console, is this correct or just missing?
Re: 67 4sp with no console?
May 20, 2003 04:01AM
Probably correct. It was an option.
May 20, 2003 06:48PM

I'm converting my 67 Tempest to a 4-speed, does your GTO have the 'shifter' tunnel? (shifter porch) or is the boot plate ring screwed directly to the hump?
Thanks
May 21, 2003 01:04AM
Its screwed directly to the hump.
May 21, 2003 04:14PM
Thanks, I was hoping I could do that.
If James bought his car finished then without tearing out the carpet it is hard to tell if the shifter porch is there. I have yet to see a GTO, Lemans, or Tempest that is an orginal 4 speed car without the shifter porch. they are a needed item. Even the molded carpet you buy for a 4 speed car, is molded for the shifter porch. It is your car and your restoration project so you be the judge, but for all the more the shifter porches cost (around $40 to $50) I personally would take the time to install one. I did on my 66, but like I said it is up to you .
May 23, 2003 02:09AM
You could order a GTO however you wanted. THe conole want standard on a 4 speed car, you had to order it.
May 23, 2003 02:10AM
You could order a GTO however you wanted. THe conole want standard on a 4 speed car, you had to order it. Personally, I dont care for the console. It looks cleaner to me wuthour it becouse the consoles wer'nt that nice looking. To each is own...............
May 23, 2003 01:45PM
Scott,
I appreciate your input. I failed to mention that the motor and trans. that I am putting in the Tempest came out of a 70 Firebird with no console, the boot ring was screwed directly to the 'hump'. The transmission is a Saginaw, not a Muncie. Due to the expense of a decent console $350+ I was hoping to to eliminate the "porch". I think the real question is, Will the linkages on the top of the trans. (bottom of shifter) fit below the factory hump, or, is the porch required to allow the necessary clearance? I guess I will find out when I go to install the motor and trans. Thanks for the heads up.
Lee,
I've not owned any firebids but I believe the the transmission was more closely centered in the middle of the floor or "hump" which would allow you to screw the boot and boot ring directly to the "hump". On the GTO and Lemans the tranismission is offset a little to the left which would require the use of the shifter porch, because the mounting plate and shifter base will be to close to the left side of the "hump". But as you said before you will find out when you install the motor and transmission. Good luck.
May 26, 2003 04:19PM
Scott,
Thank you for your input. I will be installing the motor and trans later this year(I hope) and will let you know.
Lee
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login