Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

71 LeMans wiring hell

Posted by Mark Ripley 
71 LeMans wiring hell
June 06, 2003 02:37PM
Recently purchased a 71 LeMans, and have had to buy a new alternator as the generator has gone to the great electrics junkyard in the sky. It seems also that the previous owner has been a little enthusiastic in re-wiring with a chainsaw and he was also clearly colour blind as wires now miraculously change colour mid-cable.

What I need (I am in the UK which makes getting info tough) is to know what is involved in a generator -> alternator swap and the location of the voltage regulator. At present resistance between +ve and earth is 6 ohms causing the alternator to act as a pretty efective heater, but poorly in its appointed task.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for a 71 LeMans / GTO or Tempest that they could email I would be eternally grateful.
Re: 71 LeMans wiring hell
June 09, 2003 06:14PM
Have you ever seen the GTO restoration manual - there are many detailed pictures in there. If you are interested, I could look at mine and scan any pictures that I find and email to you. Thanks.

DA
Re: 71 LeMans wiring hell
June 10, 2003 08:30PM
get a hold of ames pontiac parts @1-603-876-3345
www.amesperf.com
paddock 1-800-428-4319
www.paddockparts.com
orig.parts,group 1-800-243-8355 cant find e-address call em and get a free cataloge you might have to pay over seas shipping but its worth it bye a new wireing harness f%# that nigger rigged @!#$ lets put it back orig, and so you wont have any problems.... P.S the generater is no longer being used the alternater took over its job in the mid 60s

travis williams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login