Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

74 shaker

Posted by Dennis 
74 shaker
June 09, 2003 12:16PM
Does anyone know the correct relay number for the relay that opens the shaker door on a 74 or a current issue relay that will work?
Re: 74 shaker
June 21, 2003 03:49AM
Are you referring to the vac over electric switch or the solonoid within the shaker itself?
June 21, 2003 12:05PM
Hi Tony
Is there a relay or thermal type switch somewhere on the firewall or engine? I acquired a 74 ventura with a shaker. The guts inside the shaker are there and the solenoid and vacuum operate when benched but there is no harness from the bottom of the shaker. I amtrying to find out what prompts the solenoid to operate under acceleration.
Thanks
June 24, 2003 07:32PM
There is a vacuum inlet valve solonoid switch. OEM part number is 495326. They are very hard to come by. It is essentially a switch that is actuated by ported vacuum, so when you open the throttle, vacuum actuates the contact points and then sends voltage to the shaker actuator. I was lucky enough to find a new one on ebay, but paid through the nose. good luck!
June 24, 2003 07:53PM
Thanks Tony that is the info I was looking for.
I got mine working by luck. I found an old vacuum advance or ac/heater door actuator(not sure which)The one I found happens to fit in the saddle where the solenoid was mounted. I ran a piece of hard wire from this actuator to the prong on the door and it opens with acceleration and closes 3/4 when at idle. It shuts altogether with ignition off. I think I got lucky. Why didn't pontiac do something like this to begin with?
Thanks again
Dennis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login