Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

floor pan ripoff?

Posted by steve evans 
floor pan ripoff?
June 17, 2003 12:52PM
I have a 69 Lemans conv. that I took to a restoration shop for a complete body redo. I supplied all the parts for the work (incl. floor pans, moulding, etc). After 8 months the only thing completed was replacement of the front floor pans. I decided I'd had enough and notified the shop I was removing the vehicle. Upon arrival I was presented with a $3000 bill for 43 hours of work to replace the two pans. The hood had huge scratches gouged in it, like someone dragged a chain across it, and the top motor was broken. I had to pay the fee just to get the car out of there!
My question is, how bad was I ripped off? I am trying to compile a complaint for small claims court to get at least some of my money back. What is the normal cost for something like this? Any help would be appreciated!
Re: floor pan ripoff?
June 17, 2003 03:10PM
well, clearly you've been ripped! now i don't know how much, i do everything myself whe nit comes to cars, trust no one! but, there are certain circumstances where you really don't have the garage space, or equipment. the car hobby is a expensive one. try to avoid small private buisiness, and make sure you look into their history! just some advice!

Looking for one
June 18, 2003 02:34AM
What state are you located in?
June 18, 2003 10:52AM
I am located in Maryland.
Steve
June 18, 2003 07:10PM
In New York the State DMV has investigators that look into automotive businesses like the one you dealt with. Check to see if Maryland has the same. It is possible you were not the only one that had this type of dealing with that shop. In the future try and deal with places that come recommended by other car hobby people.
June 18, 2003 08:59PM
Hi Dennis,
Actually this place was recommended by several custom speed shops in the area. The guy's shop was enormous and filled with about 20 different antique vehicles from the 40's 50's and 60's, all in various stages of restoration. I figured he knew his stuff, which he does seem to. I just surmise he had a tantrum when I decided to pull the car, and decided to "punish" me monetarily. Originally he estimated $5000 for the body work on the entire car. If it took 43 hours for floor pans, god knows what the final tab would've been. Anyway, I still need a ballpark on what it SHOULD have cost, if anyone knows. Thanks.
Steve
June 19, 2003 12:53AM
Hi Steve
The shops in this area get $50-70 an hour. 43 hours is a whole week on the floor pans alone. Assuming he is using $70 an hour the bill qould be around $3000. The last time I did floor pans was over 20 years ago. That took 2 days but in a home garage with two of us working on it. I had a similar situation about ten years ago. I bought a car from a guy that was being done in a resto shop. They gave me the car but then said they lost the bumpers and trim pieces. It took a call to the district attorney's office for them to find the parts. About 2 months later they were shut done and the premises padlocked. Several people's cars were locked inside until the investigation was over.
Unfortunately there are some shops that don't really care about the customers.
June 19, 2003 08:57PM
hello there $50.00 is the go'ing rate ive seen it up to $70.00 but 43 hour's no way should it have taken that long ive replaced hole gtr panel's under 22.hours. each.... grab your self a shop manule telling time quote's it will be listed ,,If i can remember it was around 12 hours for each side so if you had front done 24.o hours same for rear 24.o hours so 48.o for all inner floor pan's ..but you also nead to remember that these areas are not seen as well as the rest of car.so you dont nead to take as much time. welding dont nead to be as clean in these area's as they would be for qtr's body etc. floors are the easyest to do out of body work to me.. Ive seen people pay that much for both there rear qtr and trunk 2 be done. there the hardest and takes more money..You were rippd... ive been into auto body for 20 years and doing it for over 15....and Iam 30 years old now starting my own custom rod shop..I hope this is of help ,,I would recomend you to get a hold of The better business, bureau. file a complant.I would go around to body shop's in area and out of area get 3 to 5 quote's on what it would cost for them to do same also find out from other body shops if the work was worth what you pay'd most shop's would be more than happy to help you , and to close a shop thats not up to par... more money for the other shop's people that have been doing auto body dont like people out there that give bad name's to us real body people ...... it only takes one unhappy person to ruin your shop 1 tells 5 ..5 tells 25.. and so on and on,, thats how we build our reps. well hope you luck its a shame.. thank god you had the money to get you'r car back.. because theres alot of shops here in oregon that have done the same so they can collect on your abandoned car. mechanics lean..Travis

travis williams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login