Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

64 GTO problems

Posted by liz tobel 
64 GTO problems
June 28, 2003 03:44PM

Hi,

My husband has a '64 GTO that is for some reason is overheating. Now let me begin with i know nothing much about cars or why they overheat short of you forgot to put water in the radiator. He has been driving it around Helena and it never overheated. He hauled it to Denver where he works partime. he drove it to work which is about 40 miles in the morning with no problem. After work he went to pick up his friend across town. by the time he got to his friend's work the car was critically hot. It was in the upper 80's in Denver.

I know this is kinda lame, but i would really like to help him. He has had several "mechanics" help him with this car and everytime they seem to fix one thing and screw something else up. He is very frustrated as this is his dream car.

If any of you folks have had similar problems could you write back with how you solved them. Selling the car is not a great solution at this point.

Thanks for any help.

Liz
Re: 64 GTO problems
June 28, 2003 09:48PM
Hi
Is the car actaully boiling over or is it just a guage that is reading hot?
If it is truly running hot the first thing to check is the thermostat. It is a simple job.
June 29, 2003 01:19PM
hi,

He told me that the engine got really hot so I don't think it was the gauge. He said he thought that it was something in the engine. He had taken the car to a guy who said that he could fix another problem he was having and when he got it back it started doing overheating.

He doesn't want to take it back to this guy for obvious reasons. also this guy put a gasket on wrong and there was oil leaking into the radiator.

My husband fixed that problem but now there is this problem. It had been very frustrating.

Liz
June 30, 2003 12:35AM
I have a 67 GTO with a 400 in it and I live in southern California. I have talked to many people that know Pontiacs and muscle cars in general and they all think that running around 200 is about normal for that type of car. I have a 4 core radiator with a 180 thermostat in it and it works good for me. You might want to think about going to a 4 core radiator if you only have a stock 3 core and maybe a 160 thermostat. Problem is that if you have to start it in the cold it takes alot longer to warm up but being from the cold I imagine that you are aware of that. I hope some of this info can help you. Sincerly Lance
June 30, 2003 01:59AM
thanks lance i will telll my husband what you have suggested. I am not sure what type radiator or thermostat he has in his car.

Liz
June 30, 2003 01:09PM
If there is oil in the radiator there is a head gasket problem.
June 30, 2003 11:52PM
what gasket was replaced was it a head gasket? also the other ideas are great to check 4 cores are the best way to go..The old radiator could be dieing has a leak a hose leaking.Thermastate. P.S has this car been abused if so you could have a crackd head water jacket If only you have oil in the water..... If you check oil if there is a milky white s&%t on the dip stick you have a leak.. head gasket,,or it could be the head is warped cracked etc.
also did he turn engine off to cool? if not you can have alot of problems with cracks warping.etc P.S is this guy that did the work certified..If not there's one problem right there..Also you never know how people treat other peoples things when not around...I had a friend that took his car to get body work done just to get his car back with ablown motor...Hum wonder what he was doing with the car...Driveing it was for sure....P.S if this mechnic is certified youv voided his responsiblity by not takeing it back to him and finding out why.He put the gasket on wrong in the first place the LAW would have been better. file a complant cantact the BBB if he owns hes shop.or works for one.Aslo take it to a certified mechanic Have him look it over..If the other mechnic f$%D up he will go to court for you for it.. You nead to always check with other people before haveing your car workd on..In this day and age every one is a auto mechanic RIGHT just back yard mechnics ..So If he put a gasket on backwards You shouldve had some one look at it first and go from there Its prob,from that..
it shows that he didnt know waht he was do'ing Its hard to put a head gasket on backwards... A NO BRAINER....Travis GM & FORD certified mechanic . Also part owner ED Williams machine shop.. boardman,oregon hope you luck and hope things get better

travis williams
July 02, 2003 01:57AM
i restore gto's in florida i have a 64 and a65 gto my 64 has a 389 with the tri-power it did the same thing it would run 200 then steadly climb took engine apart found a cracked head. hope thismay help

mike phillips
July 16, 2003 08:36PM
Hi Liz.I own a 64.I rebuilt my motor and experienced constant tempertures from 220 to 240.This car should be around 200.I threw out my desert cooler 4-core radiator and purchased a Rodney Red aluminum radiator through Ames Performance.The temp doesn't rise above 190.
Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login