Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Numbers Matching?

Posted by Tony Walton 
Numbers Matching?
August 13, 2003 02:44PM
I have a 74 GTO that is confirmed by PSH as a GTO. So far, I have discovered that the engine is not original. I have located a 350 out of another 74 GTO, but wonder if the value I would hope to gain, is truly a value.

I understand that after 68, a portion of the VIN was stamped into the engine as well as specific GTO engine code (for 74 anyway).

If it is not a numbers matching engine, is there any point? (from an "original value" perspective)

Otherwise, I have a complete 68 400 RA that I was going to set into it. I would go from a stock 200 HP to a stock 350 HP plus...
Re: Numbers Matching?
August 15, 2003 12:42AM
If you are planning on keeping it for life or a long time, who cares what the value is...because you arent going to be selling it...
August 15, 2003 12:18PM
I have a numbers matching 66 Lemans. Also have a numbers matching 67 Goat. These go to shows. I have a cloned 74 Goat that has a swapped 400. I enjoy driving this to cruise night etc. If you like the car drive it and enjoy it. 74s are their own breed. Be prepared to say "No it's not a Nova"If the motor runs well use it and have fun.
August 15, 2003 03:24PM
I do appreciate the feedback, and this is my 2nd 74. I am very familiar with the "no, its not a Nova" response.

I am looking to restore to original and have read conflicting information regarding the engine stamping. PHS gave the data that after 68 the 6 number portion of the VIN # was also the 6 numbers on the engine.

I have gone to several GTO sites, and their information conflicts with PHS. They say that the numbers on the engine are production #s for the engine, and do not relate to the VIN.

With that in mind, I am thinking that with the K motor, #48 heads that I have located, installed in my Goat could honestly be called "restored to original".

I don't want to be one of those guys that says that, but really knows better!
August 17, 2003 12:31AM
I myself have never realy cared to much about number matching. But that is me. I have a 70 Judge that I am working on, and it to had a bastard engine in it when I bought it. The tranny and rearend are originall, but that is it. When done it is going to have a 71 455HO in it. And of course to the untrained eye (95% of the people that will see it) it will look factory fresh under the hood. Plus it will have plenty of guts. Not to mention that I plan on driving the car. It will not be a traylor queen. So for me I couldn't care less. Would it be nice if I had the originall engine? Yes it would, but it wouldn't go in the car. As I wouldn't want to throw a rod through the side of it. So there again I would be in the same boat. Would it add value? I am sure it would. But with real Judges being as scarce as they are, I am not to concerned about what having a different engine in it will do to its value. One of these days I may look into an SR block for it. But as of now, I am not to worried about it. As it is where I live there are only 3 documented real 70 Judges that I or any one of the many GTO buffs I know, know about. So for me to have one in any condition is quite a feat in its self. I say build it how you want to, and enjoy it! That is my half a cent!

70 Judge in the works!
August 29, 2003 02:23AM
Thanks for the great feedback. I have decided to collect the # matching parts, but put them in a corner, and have some fun with a bit more HP. That way I can enjoy the car as I want it to, but can give it the original value, should I decide to.

I appreciate it! Happy Goating!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login