Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Black Condensation from Exhaust

Posted by Michael Deline 
Black Condensation from Exhaust
August 18, 2003 01:54AM
When I first start my 64 GTO I get condensation that is black. After it runs for a couple of minutes it is all cleared out and runs fine. what could be causing the black condensation when I first start it up?
Re: Black Condensation from Exhaust
August 19, 2003 04:03AM
Michael -

Black condensation in all cars is common, but most noticed in older cars. The fuel burn of an old carb car is much less efficient, so your black comes from carbon or unburned fuel. The condensation....simple too...The primary by-product of combustion is moisture, or water....that is just chemistry.

So, when you mix carbon and water, you get black condensation. Newer cars do it too, but with fuel injection and computers, coupled with heated 02 sensors, you see much less.

Your choke may be a bit rich, but I am guessing that your car may sit more than your daily driver. That condensation sits in your exhaust, and unburned fuel in your combustion chamber, making it worse on cold start-up.

Hope this helps!

TW
August 22, 2003 03:00PM
TW sounds like he nailed it. If you are not using the car enough you will probably see it more. Could be a little rich.
September 03, 2003 05:21PM
They are correct its just carbon on your exaust manifold which is shot out when you start it many boats are the same way. hope it helps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login