Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Frame Repair

Posted by Eric Johnson 
Frame Repair
August 23, 2003 01:29AM
I got this 67 GTO and the frame has a few rust holes in it . They're just before the rear tires on both sides. The holes are about 1/2 inch by 3 inches long. Can this be reapired? Should I try to find a good LeMans frame and use that? This will greatly influence my decision on restoring this car or not.

New Pontiac owner
Re: Frame Repair
August 23, 2003 03:53AM
Without actually seeing the damage it's hard to say. You have to get it up on a lift and look it over real good. If you have a dependable body guy have him look at while it's in the air. Before staring any resto my guy puts the car in the air and starts the inspection from underneath before even beginning to figure the quarters etc.
August 24, 2003 08:16AM
If you do decide to replace the frame you should know that ALL GTO frames, whether convertible, sedan(post), or hardtop are boxed frames. Also, ALL convertibles, whether Tempest, LeMans, or GTO are all boxed. This was done on ALL GTO's because of the increased torque of the big block motors, and on ALL convertibles because of having no roof they needed more stiffening of the frame.
August 24, 2003 08:22AM
If you do decide to replace the frame you should know that ALL GTO frames, whether convertible, sedan(post), or hardtop are boxed frames. This was done to acommodate the increased torque of the big block motors.Also, ALL convertibles, whether Tempest, LeMans or GTO are boxed. This was done because convertibles have no roof and need boxed frames for more stiffening. So, you can use any "boxed" frame to replace your original.
August 25, 2003 04:13AM
P.S on 64/74 there is a frame identificatiom serial number date of manufacture and part number stamped on the left side rear frame between the rear axle & the number 6 body bolt.. so if you change frame make sure you cut out old plate area and have it welded back in.....P.s it shouldnt hurt any thing buy cuting out old rust and replaceing it with new metal I would take it and have it done if not good with fabricateing..and want it to look good afterwards
hope this is of help...travis williams @ edwilliams machine boardman,oregon

travis williams
August 25, 2003 01:16PM
Thanks for the advice. I did find a 66 Lemans in my local salvage yard and the guy is willing to deal on it. I'll go see him today and maybe I can section the frame. It isn't a conv. just a Lemans hardtop.

New Pontiac owner
August 26, 2003 02:47PM
Well, I got a frame out of a 66 Lemans for $300. It looks good, so I may just graft in the section that is bad on mine. Luckily, the only bad spots on my Goat are behind the weld line where the frame rises toward the rear end. It looks like I can cut the weld, slide the section out and graft in the new one. That's the theory anyway.

New Pontiac owner
August 26, 2003 05:10PM
John,

Not all GTO's had boxed frames, all convt.'s did, but hardtops and post models only had boxed frames if they selected the "heavy duty frame" option on the order sheet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login