Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Daily Driver Reliability?

Posted by Sam Ellis 
Daily Driver Reliability?
September 02, 2003 09:49PM
I'm considering buying a '67 GTO. It will need to be my daily driver, and it is basically all original, the suspension has all been gone through but its the original motor, a new TH400 transmission and a few other ancillary things. The car is mint, and has 173K on it with very minimal blow by and everything looks to be in mechanically good shape. (There's even very minimal surface rust in the trunk). My question is basically this, since I will have to drive it everyday how reliable is this and what typically brakes? I imagine as with any older car it will have some headachey problems, but I'm fairly handy so I'm curious as to what it will be.

Thanks,
Sam
Re: Daily Driver Reliability?
September 03, 2003 03:15AM
Sam - The fact that it has 173K tells me that it has been reliable! But...anytime you get miles on a car, and put miles on a car, you run the risk of breaking something!

How far are you driving it? If it is across town, no problem. If it is a freeway stretch or a long highway drive, you may want to think about it a bit.

Even though it has been reliable, doesn't mean that something isn't at a breaking point. Most older car "hard parts" are pretty bullet proof, and general maintenance items like brakes, tune up, fluid changes prolong life and are pretty cheap to do.

Over all, no matter the distance, you definately want to check all fluids for a while to get a true feel of what is/isn't worn. From there, you will learn the trust and reliability factor!
September 03, 2003 10:42PM
well what is the asking price for the GTO?
September 04, 2003 09:02PM
He's looking to get about $6,000 for it. At least from me, it's a friend of my dads. It'd be seeing about 40 miles per day of highway driving (cruising at 55-60). I'm thinking that it's a pretty reliable car, all the suspension bushings have been gone through as well as new springs and shocks, I'd probably upgrade the brakes to late model discs of some kind (any recommendations?) and then perhaps an engine rebuild if it starts smoking or something similar and I would probably put a new radiator etc on it and then I imagine that it's pretty bullet proof. Any input on it?
September 05, 2003 11:53PM
It sounds like you are planning on putting a lot of money in it. You might as well just buy a beater car that gets good gas mileage and put the GTO in the garage for good weather days. Driving the goat everyday is can put a lot of wear and tear on it. I only drive mine about once a week, if that...
But if you want to drive it everyday, thats ok...just keep her looking good...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login