Are they that fast?
October 03, 2003 08:54PM
I've been in love with the GTO all of my life and hope to buy one in the next year or so. However some of my friends tell me that GTO s are nice, but I would get more bang for my buck with a Chevelle or Camaro. They reason that a Chevy engine is better, telling me that any GTO would not stand a chance against a 396, much less a 427. I find this hard to believe. My friends dad had a 1969 Ram Air 3 Judge and says it is still the most potent car he has ever driven! I'm 32 and unfortunately missed out on the muscle car era, and I've never driven any of these high-powered big blocks so I am asking anyone out there who has, to please help me out. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. My heart is set on the GTO, ( I've had a 77 Trans Am, a 68 Firebird 350, and a 94 Trans Am with the LT-1 350). Please give me some info (especially performance related) so I can inform my friends that no GTO would ever back down from any Chevy! Thanks.
Re: Are they that fast?
October 04, 2003 12:38AM
They made lots of Chevrolets. Hundreds of thousands of Camaros and Chevelles. I had a 69 SS Chevelle with a 396 with a four-speed and it was a great car, but my garage is full of Pontiacs now. Something about a GTO...once you drive one with a four-speed and some power options...it's awesome. My GTO's will keep up with the Chevys too...buy one.
October 04, 2003 01:53PM
Don't listen to what they the say everyone has a opinion I have a 68 GTO that goes 9.50's in the 1/4 mile and everyone that has a Chevy thinks it's a big block chevy. When I tell them it a RAM Air IV 400 engine they start looking and shaking their heads. What most people don't know is most of these cars are powered these days with engines that never came factory. 7 out 10 people now run 502 big blocks on the street. I have never seen a Pontiac motor if prepared and spent the amount of money needed that could run with the same displacement. If you still aren't ready to accept what I tell you then go to the Pontaic Nationals next year in Norwalk, Ohio and you will see some of the fastest Pontiacs in the country. You will mostly see me in my 68 GTO called the Warchief. Pontiacs are now just getting the aftermarket parts that the chevys have had for a long time. You will see the day when there are several Pontiac running in the 6's in a 1/4. Thanks I hope that helps you. Timmy Mallory

October 06, 2003 02:09PM
i also hear that the pontiac blocks are stronger therefore making more durable for more horses smiling smiley. there is just something i love about the pontiac and buick big blocks. they are torque monsters and that the name of the game for 1/4mile, 9 times out of 10 these chevy guys get there work done at a garage and dont know crap about anything. these guys you were talking about prob just compare hp ratings, though the bowties did have some nasty compression ratings 68-70

October 06, 2003 04:28PM
Hello,

My name is dean and I owned a 1965 GTO in 1965. Anyone who tells you that a 396 chevelle will beat a GTO has never raced a GTO. My GTO ate 396's for breakfast and put down many a corvette. Don't be fooled. That little 389 tripower was HOT.

regards

Dean
October 06, 2003 11:33PM
CHASING YOUR TAIL LIGHTS IS ALL THE INFORMATION YOUR FRIENDS NEED.
SMOKEM'........
October 07, 2003 12:30AM
1965 pon grand prix fenders needed .

hi , i just got a 65 gp 4 speed car
October 07, 2003 07:29PM
Well here you go yes they are fast not as fast as chevy's but pontiac's can be built very strong,as any motor done right, but pontiac have thicker walls to work with so there can be alot done to a pontiac besides the 350 389 400 are interchangeable the blocks are all the same even 426 455 but 455 have a 3.5 in main as the 326 400 389 350 have a 3.0 inch .the 455 you can add chevy BB crank con,rods and big 402 piston,s and make a bad ass .it's knowing the motors what makes them flow WE own a 67 camaro ss/rs nickey 427. My dad bought it new in 67, a 67ss 350 &a 68 ss 396 , pluss a 68 convert,tempest custom 350,turbo 400 all matching number's a 68 gto 1 of only 147 orig,ram air 1 xp 400w/his-hers turbo 400 A/Cw- posi,My mom bought new in 68 we have 55 belair 2dr,2 47 stud's p/u, WEll what Iam trying to say my moms gto can keep up w'my 396 &350 and there 4spds and moms gto it's almost all stock, We own Ed Williams Machine In boardman,oregon,every old car my family bought new was never sold except a few,,were lucky to have these car's the nickey camaro is a very fast car and my dad dont drive to to much stock from factory 425 hp runs at seattle 10:47 @ 119 mph stock....my moms gto runs a 12:04 @ 104 mph to 107 mph almost stock both posi's nickey is a 4spd moms is a turbo 400
nic,has 4:11 rear gear's as the gto has 3:90s so pontiac are not cheap but the torque from a heafty 400 455 are unreal. Travis Williams @EdWilliams Machinepatrick hines wrote:
>
> I've been in love with the GTO all of my life and hope to buy
> one in the next year or so. However some of my friends tell
> me that GTO s are nice, but I would get more bang for my buck
> with a Chevelle or Camaro. They reason that a Chevy engine
> is better, telling me that any GTO would not stand a chance
> against a 396, much less a 427. I find this hard to
> believe. My friends dad had a 1969 Ram Air 3 Judge and says
> it is still the most potent car he has ever driven! I'm 32
> and unfortunately missed out on the muscle car era, and I've
> never driven any of these high-powered big blocks so I am
> asking anyone out there who has, to please help me out. Any
> and all info would be greatly appreciated. My heart is set
> on the GTO, ( I've had a 77 Trans Am, a 68 Firebird 350, and
> a 94 Trans Am with the LT-1 350). Please give me some info
> (especially performance related) so I can inform my friends
> that no GTO would ever back down from any Chevy! Thanks.

travis williams
October 17, 2003 09:27PM
Travis I had a new 66 GTO with tripower but 355 gears and the good 396s with the good gears and tires could beat me most of the time. I took the 389 out to 488 and built it and like nobody touched me but I lost the street driveability. I have a 65 now thet has a warm 455 that will tke a hot 427 Chevelle. The big thing is It A GTO not a chevy.

David W Davies
October 20, 2003 05:02AM
right you wont stand a chance w/a nickey copo Zl-1 any of those 427 camaro's or a LS-6 chevelle 454 not in you'r dreams P.S chevelle never came w/a 427 unless it was a copo except in 67,same motor as corvette LS-86
and it would eat your car also,A 455 is nothing WOW a 400 is fare better P.S same motor but a 3.5 inch crank to a 326 350 389 400 ' a 3. inch crank .big deal it's the same motor tired of hearing about a 455...... the 400 neads more respect,, P.S
I would like to see you come up against my dads stock Nickey camaro hell eat you up.as any of the car's listed above these car's stock from the factory would eat any cuda 426 hemi as a 428 cobra if you dont think so look it up the 454 LS-6 is the badest car from that era nothing could keep up with the chevelle and the LS-5 454 isnt as big of a bad ass as it's twin sister LS-6 blk and wht chevy's are cheaper to build a big buck motor.bigger bang for your buck,,pontiacs are very tourqey but lack in horse power and top end
but that can be changed but not cheaply think of it this way you can do alot more with the pontiac in the long run but not cheap to do and some head's are not cheap or easy to find but will be worth it as i sayd before I have pontiac gto's in the family as all types of older cars I like any thing EXCEPT FORD and MOPAR.....so there you are A real gto is hard to find any more
and are go'ing up motor digest say's there one of the most saught after car for people that wanted one in high school baby bomber's are going to be retireing soon and there going to want your gto so by a GTO
Travis Williams @EDWilliams Machine P.S David more power to you ENJOY smiling smiley

travis williams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login