Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New to GTO...and looking.

Posted by Steve W 
New to GTO...and looking.
December 11, 2003 12:33AM
I'm looking for a GTO...66 or 67. Big motor, auto trans, bucket seats. Been searching the internet and I have a few "newbie" questions, if you don't mind.
What are "post" models? Why did they have hardtop vs post?
What does "his and hers" shifter mean". And what does it do?
What should I be looking out for? Problem areas, etc.
Seems like lots of "clones" out there. Whats the major differences?
I have a 68 Camaro convertible, and a 68 Mercedes 280 SL, so I do know a bit about restorations, but I'm not quite up on GTOs.
Ant help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: New to GTO...and looking.
December 12, 2003 07:41AM
his and hers shifter is for a turbo 400 and is able to shift grandma style put it drive and go or you can flip a chrome flap over and insert shifter on the other side and shift manually,help's improve your shift so you shift when you want not the tranny, problem areas around rear windows trunk like camaro's qtrs. frt lower fender,around chrome above door's top of car area gas tank.. floor's.. for 66 build sheet option 382 there on the data plate you can find on very bottom option code0-0-00- 5N, on the last set of number's that number means it has gone true the change to gto option, also I read that 242 is also on vin not 100% sure but Iam on the other info 67 &68 etc, VIN first 3 number's should read 242. gto, 233 tempest,
235 tempest custom,237 lemans they made both model's hard tops and post's post models have a post that runs between rear window and door window as a coupe has not ,camaro style,,,smile on later years the frame likes to rust.... hope this helps travis williams the pontiac guy@EdWilliamsMachine,boardman,oregon,
68 gto ram air I, H.O 1 of 187 w/turbo 400 & factory A/C
68 gto convert in the works
67 camaro ss/rs NICKEY
+ no many project to list the Nickey is my dads bought new , 68 gto is my moms bought new, convert mine saved from farmers back yard months ago.
all numbers match on all cars Enjoy ........

travis williams
December 23, 2003 08:56PM
Thanks Travis,
So now I know exactly what what I am looking for.
67 GTO, his'n'hers auto, a/c, power discs, bucket seats.
One question about gas. I know these cars were supposed to run on high-octane (93?) leaded gas. (Not an issue for my 68 Camaro...new motor!) I found an all-original car, 67 with original motor, 88 k miles with all the options. Owner says its been running just fine on pump unleaded, higest octane available( in Texas), gas. When and if I buy the car, should I be looking for a lead additive (can usually only get 91-92 octane here in Calif) or just run it like it has been?

1966 GTO convertible
1968 Camaro convertible
[www.stevewaddington.com]
December 23, 2003 09:03PM
Oh...and I forgot one other question.
This car I'm looking at has all original gauges plus original tach.
Instead of running points, I am thinking of the Pertronix Igniter II system. It will replace the points, but fit inside the distributor so it still looks stock.
Will that effect the tach? I know that some guys with the old, original Camaro tachs that got fried using the electronic changeover.
Opinions?

1966 GTO convertible
1968 Camaro convertible
December 24, 2003 04:46AM
The conversion over to a Petronix will not affect the tach. These systems still use the same style coils and are not electronic, just non-point style. I've used both Petronix and Unilite with good success. Just remember early pre-1970 wiring harnesses did not use an integral resistor and require an external resistor prior to the coil.

The Goat Doctor
December 24, 2003 08:26AM
and what about the unleaded gas?

1966 GTO convertible
1968 Camaro convertible
December 24, 2003 01:58PM
How much are you looking to spend....I have beautiful 67 GTO that I need to sell....not cheap...but the car needs virtually nothing....turn key and go...it has a 455 HO eng. with a 400 tranny with his and hers hurst shifter.....
December 24, 2003 09:01PM
Sounds nice, but I was also looking for a/c and power disc brakes. I suppose I could add them later. Email pics and details if you would. How much would you want and where are you? I'm open....

By the way, Happy Holidays!

1966 GTO convertible
1968 Camaro convertible
December 30, 2003 03:38PM
Hey steve...I emailed pics and some info......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login