Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

RA 5

Posted by Lance Q 
RA 5
June 10, 2004 06:59AM
This really isnt a tech question but just an info one. What is so special about the Ram Air V? I here about it from time to time and i hear that it was a great motor. I have heard it called "tunnel ram" before and i was just wondering if somebody could explain the concepty behind this great pontiac motor. Thanks, Lance
Re: RA 5
June 11, 2004 07:34AM
ram air IV super duty: research indicates that approximately seventy of these engine's may have been released for public consumption in 1970 The Ram Air IV super duty consisted of a Ram Air V bottom end and Ram Air IV heads intake manifold and carburetion.No RamAir V engines were released from the factory for public consumption although it was possible to order all the necessary RamAir V components over the counter Occasionally a Ram Air V will turn up but it was not built on the assembly line for sale in 1970 GTO Evidence also indicates the installation of a few RA IV SD engines in 1970 Trans Am's the RA IV was probably the finest and best balanced allaround street performance engine ever built The RA IV engine was also known as the round port engine because it used the same design as the 1968 1/2 engine. the head part number for 1969 RA IV was (9796721) cast number (722) the 1970 head was part number (9799498) cast number (614) both years used large guide plates a longer push rod (9782370) was used and a special deep socket anti-pumo-up lifter (5232675) was employes.The Ra IV used the 1.65 inch rocker arm package number (9798429) the rocker arm studs (9796512) used a special double-locking nut (546212) and (9422300) a rocker arm oil deflector (9782500) was held to a stud with a nut (9420169) all of this was stuffed under a standard GTO valve cover the 1969 and the 1970 RA IV were interchangeable the RA IV intake was aluminum to help efficient in heat dissipation same as V the exhaust manifolds are also a round port as 1968 1/2 Travis the pontiac guy

travis williams
June 11, 2004 05:55PM
Travis - Well put....almost sounds like it was right out of the book winking smiley
June 15, 2004 07:00AM
pretty close HEHE smiling smiley

travis williams
June 16, 2004 02:27AM
Being I've owned and raced both RAM AIR V and RAM AIR IV engines, I think, I can give an honest answer. I've raced a stock RAM AIR V engine it
had the stock solid lifter cam, intake and distributor, the only thing aftermarket was a set of custom headers. The motor was in a 3680 lb 68 GTO and ran 10:87 at 122, I had a turbo 400 with a 3500 stall and a set of 430 gears in a 12 bolt rear. I never lost a race on the street with that car it beat 427 Chevys, 440 Mopars and every other car that came up to it. The only car to give me a run for my money was a Ford Thunderbolt with a 427 in it. The heads on a RA V are the best breathing heads every made by Pontiac the problem with the RA V is that Pontiac did not have a big enough engine for this head it needed more cubes than 455 to take advantage of it's wide ports. Second the RA V was sold in parts from the dealer and no one makes aftermarket parts for it, you have to have everything made custom other than the few stock parts floating around. As for the RAM AIR IV it has the best breathing heads ever placed on a car from the factory. I current run a RAM AIR IV engine with cast 722 heads in my 68 GTO and it does mid 9's in the 1/4 mile at 139 mph. The availablity of parts for the RAM AIR IV are Excellent and it seems to be easier on parts than the the big block Pontiacs. Let me leave with what Pontiac called this engine " KING OF STREET" There plan for this motor was to compete against the street hemi, before insurance and the 70 market killed it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login