Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just found another 69

Posted by M Randolph 
Just found another 69
July 21, 2004 09:51PM
I've been picking through this site for the last 3 or so weeks since taking delivery of our Blue 69' GTO. Like our other cars, it is now covered & parked in a sealed 41' shipping container. It needs to be restored, but I think it's worth the time to inventory & stash these cars for another day.

In any case, while looking for parts I ran across another 69' GTO right here in San Diego that, while ugly from the outside, has awesome potential. I grabbed it (for under $1300!) & had it towed home. The question I have is... this car was coded with Cappuccino Brown paint & Antique Gold interior. Have any of you ever seen a Cappuccino Brown GTO that looked good? I think the color is downright nasty & am thinking of the deep Brit-style green that many goats had in the 68/69 model year. The numbers don't match so I can play a little on the originality.

In looking over the car, I've found the floors, 1/4's, rockers, & lower w/wheels to be pristine. The rear deck filler & decklid have rust, but minimal at most. The trunk has a little surface rust, but if I work fast I think it can be saved. This model is a non-hideway headlight car, A/C, P/S, Tilt, 400/Auto car. Even the “undamaged” exhaust tubes have "GM 1204" stamped at the rear axle loop, the gas tank is like new & the straps are still clean. The rear end is a 10 bolt, but it has a "Limited Slip Fluid Only" tag so I assume it's posi. Or am i way off? Our Chevelle has a 12 bolt & our nova sits on a 10 bolt, but it looks nothing like this rear end.

While I verified the VIN & Cowl Tag as GTO, the hood is scoop-less, and the Eudora Bumper is a little hammered. The 400 engine is an XH code, but the serial does not match. The heads are #62.

So, this will be our next project car. Now were looking for:

Eudora Bumper
69' Decklid
GTO Hood (or scoops)
Maybe some electrical harnesses (i.e. engine, trunk, etc).
Drivers Door Inside Door Handle

Next… lets get the body off the frame!

Thanks for the great info on this site!

M Randolph in SoCal
--------------------------
66 Nova 2 Door H/T 283, TH-350
67 Chevelle SS 396, 4 Spd (True 138 Car; No A/C, P/S, P/B! Yikes!)
69 GTO 400, TH-400 (True 42 Car; A/C, P/S. P/B, Brown ovr Gold)
95 ThunderChicken SC, 5 Spd (daily drvr)
Re: Just found another 69
July 21, 2004 10:25PM
You west coast guys just have to rub it in, don't you smiling smiley "a little bit of rust..." I have to say, living here in WI, I am jealous! But then, there is no threat of my state falling off of the US smiling smiley

Sounds like you got a great deal! I find it ironic that I just bought a 69 in rough shape, 4 spd car with an XH & 62 heads. Not original from my undersanding, but still a 350 HP plus motor!

I wouldn't mind getting out there to get something to help with my Eastern PA Judge "rust-oratioin", but the travel is almost as expensive as the car!

I guess I will just have to keep saving!

Congrats on your purchase...
July 21, 2004 10:33PM
Thanks for the congrats. Hope it doesn't sound like were rubbing anything in! We're just glad we found one that (in this state) would have otherwise been destroyed by the DMV buyback program. Thanks ousted-governor Davis! Remember, the cars may have less rust but gas is $2.39 a gallon & electricity is $390.00 per month. As always, there is a trade off!

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes out. I usually find a car or two per month. If anyone is looking for something specific please feel free to let me know!

M Randolph

M Randolph in SoCal
July 21, 2004 10:39PM
I have an expresso brown 1969 that was originally from California. I just had it painted the original color because it's all matching and I couldn't bring myself to change the color. I think it looks good, but a lot of people don't like it. It is a deep metallic brown, though it is still brown.

Change the color to whatever makes you happy and send some of those cars to the east coast.
July 21, 2004 10:48PM
No, just sounded like a kid with a new toy at X-mas! That buy back program is sickening, but I guess that is politics for you! Our gas right now is at about $2.00 a gallon right now, but the electricity is a little cheaper.

I have made a lot of west coast friends thanks to the web and this forum. I will definately keep it in mind when I am ready to buy some major rust free parts!
July 22, 2004 08:20PM
Well Guys,

Thanks for the responses! Sort-of comforting to hear that there are others paying $2.00 a gallon, but ridiculous that we should have to. The crazy part of it all is that AVGAS (gas for airplanes) is $2.38 a gallon and it's 100 octane (100 LL)! "Velcome to Kalifornia."

Jack, I'd like to see a pic of your car. Even though brown is not my favorite color, I always try to keep things as close to factory as I can. We never chop or cut, and we NEVER TUB OR NARROW. That typically goes for the paint too, but I'm afraid that if I paint it brown It'll blend with the L.A. smog (should I be stupid enough to drive up there).

FYI: I do know of a guy in Simi Valley, CA (near the Reagan Library) that has a LOT of rust-free Le Mans/GTO trunk lids in the $250 range.

M Randolph in SoCal
July 23, 2004 07:27AM
I can only wish gas was $2.00 in Australia. We are paying about $4.20 Australian per gallon which works out at about $5.90 USD per gallon. More than half of that goes in Federal & state taxes. I do a bit of drag racing as well and the politicians are just about to outlaw any leaded fuels (avgas) even for racing use only. Which means an engine rebuild so the car can run on unleaded.
I should have born in the USA. Nothing like the sweet smell of avgas in the morning.
July 28, 2004 08:48PM
Ello Tony,

Have to agree. The smell of AVGAS is simply awesome. Of course, prolonged exposure is not such a good idea. I'd still be weary of AVGAS for hi-po engines. If it's like the fuels here in the states, the term 100 LL (for low lead) is a bogus, statutory term. In all actuality, 100 LL AVGAS has 250 times the amount of lead (of PPM) that traditional leaded fuels had.

I wouldn't think the Aussie Gov't would outlaw 100 LL for aircraft, though. Meaning, that you could possibly still have a source for fuel.

The price sound painful as well. Doesn't seem fair.

Matt Randolph

M Randolph in SoCal
August 03, 2004 03:43AM
You guys and that AV GAS, that is not meant for ground level running cars, it is meant for high altitudes. Ive known that since I was 14,before I was even driving, Racing gas is the best thing for your HI COMP engine, even if you only run 50/50m, I dont think you would understand if I tried to explain, just trust me leave the AV GAS in the airplanes. With that said have a wonderful day!
August 05, 2004 03:12AM
All I have left of my '69 GTO from my college days are a few pics and the WT Code 350 HP Engine. I would like to find a '69 GTO to put it in if you run across another good deal. I will be looking for parts here.
August 16, 2004 06:53PM
I'll keep an eye out for other 69's for those interested. I scour the web listing every 5~10 minutes, so I generally get a hit (on my pager) before the "ad goes to press" or is widely read online.

As for the AV GAS, I've used it for years. It's biggest drawback is that it can foul up a set of guides and seats in short order. It's notoriously high in lead, which leaves a lot to be desired on newer vehicles. For high compression it's great. We've probably used 5,000 gallons in various piston airplanes, motorcycles, and cars (all non emissions) with pretty good results. Best of all, its cheaper than pump gas & is minimally impacted by state taxes (at least here in Kali~Fhornia).

Plus I LOVE the smell of AV GAS! smiling smiley

Keeping an eye out in SoCal.

M Randolph in SoCal
67 Chevelle SS 396, 4 Speed (True 138 Car; No A/C, P/S or P/B! Ouch!)
69 GTO 400, TH-400 (True 42 Car; A/C, P/B, PTrunkRel, Tilt, 68k Orig Miles)
None of them done!
95 ThunderChicken SC 5 Speed (new-to-me driver)

M Randolph in SoCal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login