NUMBER MATCHING PROS/CONS
August 16, 2004 07:52AM
Hi All!. just read a couple of books. one on restoring and one in maintening my '66 gto. one book made a big issue about having the car "number matching" and the other discussed how to re-build to make it a safer and more reliable daily driver. in example, replacing the front drums to more reliable and safer disk brakes.... the 66 has great lines and in my modest uneducated opinion the best goat around. unbiased opinion ..of course smiling smiley how importand is "number matching" to value when the mods increase safety, visual appeal, and performance ?? My GTO has the mods already I felt the 66 was lacking in (flared fenders, beefy tire/rim combo, front disk brakes). Am I throwing away good money in a car that even though has been tastefully modified no longer qualifies as original?? The car needs 3'gs to turn it into a head tuner (mainly paint and cosmetic parts). mods mentioned are professional grade and not hack jobs.
Re: NUMBER MATCHING PROS/CONS
August 16, 2004 05:01PM
I think you are talking about originality vs. safety upgrades, not numbers matching. In my opinion, you can still have numbers matching (engine, trans, frame, body, rear axle, etc), but still convert your brakes to disc and not decrease the value hardly at all, if any.

If you are talking original, you will probably loose show points, but that is really it.

I don't know about fender flares, now you are talking major cosmetic changes that in my opinion will decrease value. In one sentence you like the lines, but you also speak of adding flares...I would stay away from the flares.

Wheels and tires are not a big deal, but the original rims definately add value and appeal to most GTO enthusiasts. Original wheels are my preference, but a nice set of chrome wheels look nice too. They are nothing permanent and can be easily changed back.

No right or wrong here...just my opinion. Good Luck with your project!
October 12, 2006 12:05AM
On the 1966 GTO, dose the engine Numbers match the body Numbers?

I was told that the Pontiac Car Sales was so high that they did not match the engine numbers with the body numbers.

John
October 16, 2006 07:11PM
This where I'm at;

My car was built May 25, 66. The engine is a YS and was poured (E-17-6) = May 17, 66.

Knowing that it would take one or two days to get out of the foundry, May 18/19. One of two days to get thru the block lines Dept. #960, May 20/21. One or two days to get down the engine line Dept. #971, May 22/23. Then go to the assembly Plant #8 to be trim-out and to go in the car by May 25, 66. Looks like just in time.

Is there anyway to find out if this is the engine that came in this car?

Thanks John
October 19, 2006 03:26PM
Although the article is about Corvettes, I have some infor on "numbers matching" that is applicable to GTOs at [www.web-cars.com].

As always, comments etc. are welcome.

Regards,

Paul Pollock
WebCars! Webmaster
[web-cars.com]
October 19, 2006 03:33PM
Thanks Paul!

The article is the best I've seen to explain "Matching Numbers"

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login