Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A great GTO story

Posted by Rich Daniel 
A great GTO story
August 23, 2004 01:05AM
In 1969 my uncle, Donald Henry Lewis Carter, was killed in a car accident along with several of his friends. He was 19 at the time of the accident. My grandparents garaged his car that same year and it has remained there for 34 years. The last time that it was driven or cranked was 21 years ago, 1983 I believe. As the oldest Grandson my grandparents have left this car to me in their will. While my grandmother is still alive the time had come for me to get the car and take it home to my house. Two weeks ago we attempted to get the car started and drive it to my house about 3/10's of a mile from my grandparents garage. After about an hour we gave up and I went to the local parts store to pick up points, rotary button, condensor, plug wires, plugs and a distributor cap. The next Saturday we were back at it again and after only changing the points and condensor the car fired right up and runs like a charm. Since then I have replaced the upper/lower radiator hose, alternator belt, and the thermostat. All in all only about $100 give or take a few dollars. I cannot tell you what an honor it is to have this car and how much I loved working on it for a couple of Saturday mornings. I am by no means a mechanic and have never much enjoyed working on cars but I think I'm hooked. I have a lot to learn but for some reason it seems like the right thing to do considering how much my uncle loved me and his GTO. I hope you enjoyed the story of my GTO and I'll keep you up to date on the progress of this wonderful car. Next Saturday, Aug 28, I will take it to my first car show and I know my uncle would be extremely proud.

Can anyone help me with the info below:

09E
ST 6624217 PON 639
TR 223-B Paint Y-Y

Thanks for listening!

Rich Daniel
Re: A great GTO story
August 23, 2004 01:11AM
I forgot to mention that my 66 GTO only has 42, 807 original miles.

Sorry

Take Care,

Rich
August 23, 2004 05:01AM
First off Congrats on your GTO!!! I hope this info helps!!

09E-build date September(09)5th week(E)

Style-Year(66)Pontiac(2)GTO(42)Hardtop(17)

Trim-Black Interior(223),?(cool smiley

Paint-Candlelight Cream

I think that should all be correct. The B following Trim#223 kinda through me though....I'm sure someone can explain that!
August 23, 2004 04:40PM
great story...congrats...and enjoy your goat
August 23, 2004 08:14PM
The "B" after the number 223 should mean bucket seats. I believe a letter "C" would be a bench seat.

Tell us more details about your GTO.
Is it a 4 speed or Auto?
Tri-power or 4 barrell?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login