Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1969 GTO RA III AC PD PS

Posted by betrezra 
1969 GTO RA III AC PD PS
May 27, 2006 02:01AM
I found a 1969 GTO RA III that came with factory 4spd, 400 (366HP), Factory AC, PDB, PS. It is blue with blue interior.

Currently has a yr correct WS Code 400 with correct RAIII Heads, intake, cam exh man's. But not numbers matching.

Also has Th-400 trans. Orig 4spd is long gone.

Was orig AC car.... but is missing compressor and a couple of parts.

Body is good no rust, orig body panels and orig interior.

I'd say it's a 7/10.

Runs/drives as is.

Private seller is asking $18,000 for it as is.

Comes with all documentation including build sheet that confirms it is a GTO RAIII, 4spd, 400, AC car, with rear reverb speaker, blue/blue interior.

Is this a good deal?

GTO NUT smiling smiley
Re: 1969 GTO RA III AC PD PS
May 27, 2006 12:28PM
havent you bought it yet,what are you waiting for
May 27, 2006 04:36PM
Visited car again today in the daylight. It's got more issues than I 1st thought:

1. Appears to be an old amature on-frame restore. Several mounting bolds/fasterners/screws are missing here/there. Body panels don't line up real well.
2. Interior is rougher than I 1st thought. some surface rust on inside around rear window. Loose wires under dash going no-where. No sign of the Ram-air cable/actuator.
3. Pulled dipstick from motor and it was rusted to the inside of the tube..... probably condensate...... had gunk on the end of the stick. Drained the oil.... yes it did have oil. Motor runs like crap..... missing, smoking, no power.......
4. Trans is new and fluid is clean clean.

I pulled some numbers off the car:

Heads:

3268 on ex side

BLOCK:
WS 600459

INTAKE:

CAR:
Quad-jet - 7087263 WD 450

VIN: 242379r143070

Inside of Drivers Door - says Tempest winking smiley ???

I'm thinking $18,400 is too high given all the things missing, incorrect, or damaged.

Basically will need: frame-off resto, new glass, new interior, a complete 4spd set-up, rebuild the motor........... Probably end up dumping $15K just to get it complete and correct.

What do you all think?

Any input on those motor numbers or vin? Guy claims it's a complete RAIII motor.... WS code.

Thanks,
Jeff

GTO NUT smiling smiley
June 02, 2006 07:18PM
Jeff,

The car your describing sounds exactly like the project I'm currently working on. I bought a 1969 GTO RAIII 4-speed from California a few years back, no rust, solid, but needed a complete restoration. My car was missing the WS engine and the 4-speed was replaced with an automatic. Since I got the car from my brother, I had almost no initial cost to buy the car.

With that being said, I can tell you that to do a frame-off right you will spend at least $15,000.00. I found a correct dated WS engine that cost me $6,000.00 with a complete rebuild, $1,500.00 for a M-20 and all of the 4-speed parts to go along with it, and about $1,500.00 in restoring the frame and suspension. Body, paint and interior will be at least another $10,000.00 that I have estimated with me doing all of the work myself except the final paint.

A RAIII 4-speed car restored to perfect condtion will fetch anywhere from $30,000.00 to $45,000.00 depending on the options, color and how much a buyer is willing to pay.

The intial start-up price of $18,000.00 sounds a bit steep, but these cars are getting really hard to find especially with the original sheetmetal that is rust free. All of the Ram Air parts are reproduced, so you can find anything that the car is missing.

I keep telling myself that it is only money.....so if you think it is worth the money, pull the trigger and buy it!!!

Just my .02 cents!! Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login