Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

To Clay or Not to Clay

Posted by Bud Abraham 
To Clay or Not to Clay
May 16, 2006 10:39PM
<HTML>Would like to hear what you detailers are doing with regard to claying the paint finish on the vehicles you are working on.

How many of you clay all cars? Why?

Do you charge extra for this?

How many of you do not clay cars? Why?

Thanks for your input

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: To Clay or Not to Clay
May 17, 2006 12:17AM
<HTML>I used to charge extra for claying when a customer wants a wax. Now, it's not an option. I clay before I put any compounds or waxes on. The customer is better satisfied with the results and the paint feels smoother. When you wheel out a car, it only takes one piece of grit to get under that bonnet to screw up hours of work! Most cars it takes about 20 minutes for me, but I had a truck a couple weeks ago that took an hour and a half

jer</HTML>
May 17, 2006 10:14AM
<HTML>Depends on the situation of course. If its a garage queen that needs a little claying no,but where the vehicle sits outside near activity where oversparay and industrial fallout is present they can get bad quick.

Last week i took a video with sound for a truck that was covered in overspray ,this is a great thing to show clients when they need serious claying and you have the proof with the sandpaper sound on the video!</HTML>
May 18, 2006 05:03AM
<HTML>We clay all vehicles that get anything more than a wash. The clay service is included in the price.

We do charge more if the contaminates are excessive.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
May 27, 2006 05:54PM
<HTML>Is there such a thing as over claying?</HTML>
June 10, 2006 05:24PM
<HTML>Thanks to those of you who responded to my question about Body Claying a vehicle before compounding, polishing or waxing.

The reason for the question was to see if there were many out there that sold the customer a buff, polish and wax or a polish and wax or a wax, and then tried to sell them the claying indicating that it would result in a better job.

I know there are some who do that and I was questioned about that in early May which is why I posted the question.

To the person I was speaking to and to myself and it seems to many of you, would be like telling the customer, "by the way if you pay me alittle more money I will do a better job on your vehicle."

In short, if you think claying the paint finish before any process is the best approach to take then you should include it in the price. If the customer balks about your "higher price" then is your chance to show them what you do and give them the cellophane touch test to show why you need to clay, but to sell it as an add on after is like a "bait and switch."

Remember, the good customer sees you as the expert and they expect you to be doing to their paint whatever is necessary to make it right.

By asking them to pay extra for the clay process is telling them, "I know the paint is not perfect so I am asking you for more money to make it perfect."

Any comments?

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
April 23, 2009 06:43PM
Unless the vehicle has VERY little miles, sits in the garage all the time, and has been consistently waxed since bought EVERY vehicle that goes through my shop gets clayed. It makes waxing quicker, easier, and MUCH more effective. I wouldn't do it any other way. People SWEAR i buffed it with a compound based on the feel of the finish. I include this in my prices unless there is MAJOR brake dust issues on the paint. Then it's a little extra.
May 07, 2009 01:54PM
In answer to a question above that was never addressed :
No, you cannot " over clay " because clay doesn't erode the paint.

You can save time by claying the vehicle in the wash bay while it is still wet. That way, you only have to wipe it off once. ( Tip courtesy of AutoMagic )

Doug
November 09, 2009 11:49PM
I clay all vehicles,regardless. If it's a repeat customer I will clay twice a year.
November 11, 2009 09:44PM
Claying is very important I do it when im washin the vehicle with the soap and water on the car rub your hand across it and if its not smooth you have to clay it.Get all the overspray off when you washing the car for the tar you can use solvents,mineral spirits or even thiner use a good yellow bug pad to assist you
December 06, 2009 06:10AM
On thing I learned about clay bars...the detail supply shops sell a much better bar than the auto supply houses like Kragen. Acid test is after doing the clay bar, get a ziplock bag, put your hand in it and rub the surface you've just claybarred. If it sounds scratchy and feels rough, you need a more aggressive clay bar.

BTW, just because you have a new car don't think it doesn't need to be claybarred. Just after your next wash, try the ziplock bag test, hear and feel for yourself.
rr
December 06, 2009 03:41PM
It is better to use the cellophane wrapper off a pack of cigarettes to feel the Industrial Fallout on the finish of the car.

A ziplock bag is thicker and does not as easily reveal the IFO on the finish.

Regards
Bud ABraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION
December 06, 2009 07:01PM
Bud,
An excellent idea using the cigarette cellophane wrapper! At least the cigarette case wrapper is good for something. I'll have to go digging for some as I don't have them handy. I did smoke, got cancer years back and quit but I'm still kickin'.
rr
December 06, 2009 07:04PM
I too quit smoking in 1969.

But, over 60% of the people who work in detail shops smoke so you should not have to go far to find a cellophane. That is, if you own a detail business and have employees.

Bud A
May 14, 2010 03:06AM
thanks for the info, some helped me

Car Detailing Charlotte
704-464-0163
[www.cardetailingcharlotte.com]
Charlotte, NC 28246

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 03:50AM by Charlotte.
July 21, 2010 10:42PM
For me it depends on if the car needs it, but we always sell it as an up-sell. I wish I could price all our jobs to include it but that would price me higher than a bulk of our competition and I have noticed a lot more price shopping in the last year. Most people in the Tulsa OK market don't even know what a clay bar is or does so it gives us an opportunity to explain the benefits. When we do trade shows it amazes me how many people still don't know what car detailing is, many still think taking their car to the car wash and paying $50 for a tunnel wash, vacuum and dash shine is a detail.

Dirts Away Auto Detailing
Tulsa OK 74127
918-406-4360
[www.dirtsaway.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 10:47PM by DirtsAway.
July 21, 2010 11:08PM
Dirts Away:

Why does it surprise you that consumers do not understand what detailing is?

Detailing has been for years a wholesale service done by and for the auto dealer. A US motorist did not keep their car long enough to need detailing.

In 1978 the average length of ownership of a vehicle was 3.2 years. Today it has increased to about 8 years.

So people are paying more for their cars, keeping their cars longer and recognizing them as a higher asset value.

The problem is that the "Detail Industry" has not kept up with the change in markets and it has not done anything as an industry to "educate the public" as to what detailing is. So why would you expect the motorist to know what detailing is when the industry has done nothing to educate the motorist?

That offers you an excellent opportunity to set yourself apart from the competition by establishing yourself as the "car appearance expert" in your area, providing your customers and potential customers with education on the cosmetic car care needs of their car.

You say, "I would be overpriced compared to my competition." If you are better than they are you should be. What you need to do is educate your customers as to what detailing is all about and why you charge more because you do more than the competition.

If you do not do that then you are no better than the competition.

That is why I never advocate the posting of prices. You sell to the needs of the car showing the customer who know what you are talking about.

You explain that you will do a 4 step procedure on the paint and why it is needed and that the first step is removing invisbile industrial fallout with clay. Then you get out the cellophane and let them feel the finish of the car with the cellophane and you will have a sold customer. If you do not then they are not a good customer anyway, they are price customer and they are not loyal customers. You want to build a base of loyal customers, not price shoppers.

The burden is on you to educate the consumers in your area about detailing and there are a number of ways to do that many of which are not related to advertising but to public and community relations. I have written many articles on this subject in Professional Carwashing and Detailing magazine.

And, you can suipport the INTERNATIONAL DETAILING ASSOCIATION which is the only voice of the detailing industry today and they are slowly making efforts to help members with education of the public. www.the-ida.com It only costs you as an operator $50 a year for dues.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Proud member of the IDA
July 22, 2010 03:43PM
Thank you for the info Bud, I'll be looking into the IDAsmiling smiley

Dirts Away Auto Detailing
Tulsa OK 74127
918-406-4360
[www.dirtsaway.com]
August 27, 2010 10:04AM
Bud Abraham
<HTML>Would like to hear what you detailers are doing with regard to claying the paint finish on the vehicles you are working on.

How many of you clay all cars? Why?

Do you charge extra for this?

How many of you do not clay cars? Why?

Thanks for your input

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

wow this is an old thread

I dewax and clay every car regardless of services offered
with the higher services, state of the art 4 step decontamination and neutralisation is done, then light claying to smooth out the surface using a special liquid clay formulation mixed in with the best lubricants I've found and clay blocks from the UK and Japan.

tend to spend between 30 mins and 3 hours claying depending on what service the customer chooses. the longer time spent, the better the finish looks and feels
paint, wheels, trim, plastics and glass all get clayed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login