Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Auto detail manuals and videos

Posted by Superior Shine 
Auto detail manuals and videos
December 10, 2003 03:49AM
<HTML>Detailing manuals and videos – Which have you purchased? Are they any good?
Give a review please. I am thinking of buying the rightlook video for $300. I know detai king and detail plus sell them. Anybody have them? Are they any good?</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
Re: Auto detail manuals and videos
December 10, 2003 05:30AM
<HTML>Superior Shine:

While I do not personally own any of these videos I do believe that Prentice St. Claire is the man behind these detailing videos.

Are you interested in learning boat detailing? I'm going to have a DVD w/ field instructional manual coming out soon. Will have everything that is involved in the boat detailing process.

Also, as a bonus I may include a "High-End Detailing" DVD but may sell that seperately.

But as far as what video is the best, I look at it like this: Find out who the detailer on the tapes are and look in a trade magazine and sure you'll see there name in there. So they have to be good.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
December 10, 2003 05:32AM
<HTML>Sorry, boats are the only thing I don't detail.</HTML>

December 10, 2003 05:37AM
<HTML>If you live by a body of water you're sitting on a gold mine.

Something to think about.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

December 10, 2003 06:05AM
<HTML>I am about 45 miles from the pacific.</HTML>

<HTML>When I opened our shop about a year ago, I bought a set of detailing business guides from Frank Canna of Mirror Finish Detailing. Here's a link to his website...

[mysite.verizon.net]

There's plenty of really good information not only about detailing but marketing, etc.

I'm still using them and I highly recommend them.</HTML>
<HTML>The right look has alot of good info and the guy I sold my first Business too ordered them to train new guys after the original guys that came with business left ,but if you have studied and understand the chemistry and been in business a few years you might not really find anything useful except the marketing and business paper work that is in the tapes.Dought you get anything to the actual detailing part that you already dont know!My opinion on Rightlook.</HTML>
December 11, 2003 09:55PM
<HTML>Hey Brian

I am considering getting into the car & boat detailing business, I gonna need all the help I can get. Tell me more about the training videos.

Thanxz</HTML>
December 12, 2003 02:21AM
<HTML>Don't want to be commercial but I think we offer some of the best training and detailing information on the market www.detailplus.com

Regards
Bud ABraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>gabriel I would go with Bud and DetailPlus ,The set up and packet that was sent to me when I thought about a new set up in my shop was truely mind blowing ,so these people have done there homework.Anna is super at taking you through the ordering process and very helpful at answering question's.I would definitly order there air powered upholstery tool,its awsome!!</HTML>
December 12, 2003 04:49AM
<HTML>Brian, I am interested in getting into the boat side. I couod use some help here. I live in Central Florida and did a boat not long agao. Kicked my ass too. Too big for me 45 ft and out of the water. Decided right them I was in over my head. When are your dvds comin out? Will there be marketing?</HTML>
December 12, 2003 05:46AM
<HTML>Bud:

Do you guys have boat detailing videos? Are your auto detailing videos the ones with Prentice St. Claire?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

December 12, 2003 05:55AM
<HTML>Phil:

Thanks for the interest. My DVDs and filed manual will have everything you need to know about reconditioning gelcoats - from protecting and enhancing new boats to restoring the chalkiest, dullest gelcoat; caring for stainless steel and chrome; refinishing and oiling the brightwork; cabin detailing, cleaning and sanitizing; and caring for Issan & Strata glass.

Since you're in Florida you're sitting on a gold mine. A lot of Cubans to compete with though, hehe. Hey, why not hire them! My cousin is actually thinking about operating a Precision Auto & Marine for me in Miami.

Did you do the 45 footer by yourself? Boats that big can be a bit overwhelming but the pay out is enormous.

I'll have some marketing ideas on how to get boating customers but this is easier than acquiring the automotive customer. A loto of car owners never been to a carwash or got their cars waxed for that matter. But entering the boating world with an expensive yacht or so, they know the MUST get their boats waxed at least twice a year. It's a must and they know it.

DVDs should be available mid-January.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

December 12, 2003 06:23AM
<HTML>Brian:

No, we do not have any videos dealing with boat detailing. The boats that we recommend you detail are those that are brought to your shop so that you are not contaminating the water with chemical nor the ground if you do it mobile.

The videos we offer are our own, we have no relationship with Prentice St. Clair.

Our 8 video set deal with the technical aspects of the business: Discussions of paint finishes; chemicals; interior materials and how to work with these types of materials.

Our 10 video set deals exclusively with setting up and operating a profitable detailing business, no discussions of anything technical.

These are backed with our Detailing Manual which covers both and more.

Thanks for asking

Bud A</HTML>

buda
December 12, 2003 06:42AM
<HTML>Cubans in central fla? You will find Mexicans and everything else but the Cubans are generaly south of Ft lardale. I know 'cause I am one.</HTML>

December 12, 2003 07:09AM
<HTML>Oops, my bad. I thought Phil was in the Miami area.

SS, I hope you don't think I was making a racial comment. Just going by geographical racial clusters. Like here in Jersey it's all Italians and Jewish folks.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

December 12, 2003 07:19AM
<HTML>Bud:

Again I respect your concern for the environment but 95% of my marine work is on the water/docks. I must go where the money and demand is.

Figure I receive $12-14 per foot for a boat. The average boat at my yacht clubs are 28-35ft. Largest I've done was a 50 footer.

50 feet X $14= $700. And thats just the outside and cockpit area. Cabin area for a 50 footer add $150. Not bad for 3 days work.

Like I said, I go where the money is. And these large boats MUST get done or can you say "chalk" after 2 years. If this man pays $800,000 for his boat, he's going to get it done. And it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the boat for a detailing, unless he wants to pay removal fees which is twice as much as a detailing. If they made a contraption device for water collection on a boat then I would have one. But unfortunately they dont.

I am interested in Frank Canna's opinion in regards to boat washing and the water run-off, since we're in the same Auto/Marine business. Frank, you out there?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

December 12, 2003 07:20AM
<HTML>No sweat. Cubans arn't a race we are a culture. Anything in fun is cool with me.</HTML>

<HTML>Good reply joe and brian I turn down so much boat business here in High Point NC its ridiculous ,no body here will mess with them .I have done a few for xxx good customers but never felt like I did the job we do on auto's.I would like to order a set of your boat detailing dvds when available .Here the average boat is 16-21 mostly fishing or skiing as I have three big lake community's within 25 miles of me and it seems everybody has a lake house!!!Price Im stumped on too for my area,cars are 165 for full just to give an ideal of price in area for auto!</HTML>
<HTML>QUOTES:

Author: Bud Abraham
Date: 12-12-03 00:23
"The boats that we recommend you detail are those that are brought to your shop so that you are not contaminating the water with chemical nor the ground if you do it mobile."

Author: Brian Angelucci
Date: 12-12-03 01:19
"I am interested in Frank Canna's opinion in regards to boat washing and the water run-off, since we're in the same Auto/Marine business. Frank, you out there?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian, I agree with Bud 100% on this issue of contaminated run-off and the laws that apply. We must all obey the law. After all, we have enough pollution in this country. When a detailer chooses to use chemicals that will pollute our groundwater then that detailer needs to conform to the standards of the law. Yes we all must obey the law. To me that's plain and simple.

Since I started my detailing buisness in 1986, I have chosen 'not' to use either commercial 'car wash' chemicals or commercial 'boat wash' chemicals that we all know are harmful to the environment. [And I certainly had plenty of access to commercial chemicals, having worked as Quality Manager for Sherman Industries, Palmyra, NJ for more than ten years] Surely those chemicals work a lot better and would certainly make the job a lot quicker and easier too. But I'd rather not get involved with those type of chemicals.

Over the years, it's been my experience that prior to polishing and waxing, most cars and boats can be washed just as easily using common household dishsoap. Actually, many can be washed with just plain water.

Now some may say that's still pollution. And they may be right. But at least I know I've made an effort to reduce the chance for groundwater pollution. And also abide by the law.</HTML>

<HTML>QUOTES:

Author: william gillaspie
Date: 12-12-03 18:51

1- "I turn down so much boat business here in High Point NC its ridiculous ,no body here will mess with them"

2- "Here the average boat is 16-21 mostly fishing or skiing"

3- "Price Im stumped on too for my area,cars are $165 for full just to give an idea of price in area for auto!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REPLIES:

1- Imagine, most boat detailers would love to me in your shoes. No need to advertise. You've already got the boat customers asking about detailing. Really, boat detailing is not that much different than car detailing. It's basicly the same thing. Just using products made for boats instead of cars. Actually, some polishes and waxes are the same for both cars and boats.

Some detailers may get scared off because they think it's got to be done 'just like the area marina does it'. Well personally, I'm not so sure most marinas even know what 'detailing' is. Let alone want to do it their way. Sure they clean and wax boats all the time. But 'detailing'? I don't think so. At least that's been my exerience here in NJ.

What this means is that you'll want to shift your focus a little from cars to boats. I remember the first time I had to clean and oil teakwood. I did'nt know the first thing about it. So I stopped by the local boat supply store. Got some info about teak cleaning. Bought the products needed; a two step teak cleaner and brass bristle scrub brush. And was on my way. It wasn't that difficult, once I found out what was invloved.

2- Actually, that's where there's the most profit. Keep in mind that the smaller boats, under 25 ft, are much easier and a lot quicker to thoroughly clean, polish, wax and protect than the larger boats. In my view, that's where there's the most profit potential.

3- As you probably already know, prices are usually based on the length of the boat. For example; a 20 ft boat being detailed at $15 per ft would be priced at about $300. As the length increases so should the price per ft. Think about it, as the length increases so does the width and height.

Just a few additional thoughts about boat detailing...</HTML>

December 17, 2003 01:21AM
<HTML>Thanks for the reply Frank.

I was just making a point that it is impossible to contain water run off while detailing a boat. All of my boat soap is 100% bio-degradable and non-toxic. Howver, I am currently look at alternatives to the powdered bleach for the non-skid. Something in the form of oxygen bleach possibly.

How is business in the winter for you? Do you have contracts with boat yards and marine service centers?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

<HTML>thanks for the info!!!!</HTML>
<HTML>QUOTE: "How is business in the winter for you? Do you have contracts with boat yards and marine service centers?"

Brian, actually I only deal with 'retail' customers. I would rather not get involved with boat yards and marina. Same thing with auto detailing. Strictly only 'retail' customers. No wholesale dealer accounts.

I realized a long time ago that if I really wanted to be my own boss, I'd have to get out there and get my own 'retail' customers. It's a lot easier that way. No hassles with contracts, no scheduling conflicts with marinas or car dealers. And the best part is; I have no one else to answer to other than my own good customers and of course, myself.

As you probably know, winter can be a little slow this time of year here in the New Jersey. But I don't mind. I plan for it and actually look forward to the having some free time, especially during the holidays. I do have a few boats lined up for both Jan and Feb. Luckily, they're all inside. I usually start to get busy again by the middle of Feb. and stay busy right on thru until this time next year.

Thanks for asking...</HTML>

February 07, 2005 07:48PM
<HTML>
I have purchased just about every kind of manual on auto detailing I can find. Detail plus and detail king are some of the only ones I havnt bought yet.

I have right look, ADI, various others found on the internet.

Expect a full review of each manual soon.

Brian, I take what I posted earleir. While at the mobile tech expo I traveled just about the length of Fla and the Cubans in Fla are like ants, they are eveywhere!!</HTML>

February 07, 2005 10:16PM
<HTML>[www.precision-online.com] :-) I have to promote my baby.

I need to work on my Spanish if I plan on opening a shop in Miami.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 09, 2005 12:12PM
<HTML>I purchased all of Bud Abrahams tapes, both sets and very much impressed,with the exception of some of the VHS tapes have some bad editing. I think he has gone to DVD's now. The info in great, and so is his Business set. I modified this info, so I use it in the Heavy Equipment and Trucking Business. Its nice to have,when something comes up, then pop one in and take 10 to improve your intelligence,or solve a problem. I also trained the employees that I have with them as well. They watch them at lunch or during the day. If a quick explanation, or as I call it, "Hand Wave " won't do,they will opt for some Premier advise..... Brandy !</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login