Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

EXTRACTOR SHAMPOO vs CARPET SHAMPOO

Posted by Bud Abraham 
EXTRACTOR SHAMPOO vs CARPET SHAMPOO
June 10, 2004 12:37AM
<HTML>Awhile back someone asked me the difference between extractor shampoo and normal carpet and upholstery shampoo.

After some discussions with chemists on the subject what I found, simply put is the following:

EXTRACTOR SHAMPOOS typically are very high dilution products and they contain a glycol ether solvent; detergent builders and a low foaming surfactant. The glycol ether solvent helps to cut and/or rinse away the oily soils left in the carpet fibers from the friction shampooing process. While there is no question a hot water rinse would work, the cleaning capabilities of the extractor shampoo will produce an ultimately cleaner carpet.

CARPET/UPHOLSTERY SHAMPOOS typically contain detergent builders, but higher foaming surfactants and little, if any glycol ether solvents because these will cut the foaml.

As for why one product is 7 to 1 dilution and another is 64 to 1 is simply a matter of how much water the original formulation contains. If a product is 64 to 1 dilution then the original formula has very little water in it.

Hope that helps to clarify in some way the difference without getting into heavy chemical differences with ingredients.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: EXTRACTOR SHAMPOO vs CARPET SHAMPOO
June 17, 2004 03:49PM
<HTML>Thanks Bud, for clarifying the difference in the chemicals..Brandy!</HTML>

Thanks Webb Master for getting me back on Line!.....Brandy
June 18, 2004 04:21PM
<HTML>Can you recommend a good method for cleaning heavily soiled upholstery? I have been using a foam cleaner so I don"t wet the seats too much and following w/ a hot water rinse. I can see the dirt coming up, but when it dries it isn't very clean.</HTML>
June 18, 2004 04:56PM
<HTML>What you need to do is the following:

1. Vacuum thoroughly to remove the dry soil (85%, typically)

2. Apply stain/spot removers as necessary and remove by hand

3. Pre spray with a good upholstery cleaner to emulsify the oily soil (15% typically).

4. Apply friction with a brush or rotary shampooer

5. Extract

6. Vacuum.

You could have one or a combination of problems:

1. Not a good enough vacuuming

2. Chemical not good

3. No friction shampooing before extraction

Hope this helps.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login