Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Too Layer or Not to Layer???

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
Re: Buda! 2 Layer
June 20, 2004 12:58PM
<HTML>Thanks for the post...

I was just curious, as there are only a few people that you have to constantly explain your every move to on the forum..., (as if they have never detailed before, or like there is only "one way")

No matter what someone does, if it is not praising (a certain product), then you are using the wrong product and paying too much.

If you do not use the "old school" techniques, then you are wasting time,

ETC, ETC:::::

Just seems like there is only one or maybe two that do this type of "campaign" or "marketing". (I will not mention any names, but if the shoe fits...,)

Everyone else seems to like the different ideas, techniques, opinions and stratagies..., I know I do..., listening to someone elses ideas is the only way to learn and advance (no one person "knows it all", although they will pounce on anyone with a new or innovative idea..., like no one else can think for themselves, LOL!!)

I really enjoy the different ideas and such.
It just gets "old" post after post watching everyone explain themselves over and over to one or two people as if they were an "ultimate authority" on "how to do it right".

I personally like different views..., some work for me others do not, but if it works for you, why would anyone put you down for it is beyond me???

I have learned a lot of "tips & tricks", not only from this forum, but several others.
"Man with closed mind- shut door on learning, stuck in hole."
Man with open mind- known for his wisdom and enjoys unlimited knowledge"

just my .02smiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 20, 2004 02:20PM
<HTML>"Author: New Again
Date: 06-19-04 05:34

Layering to enhance shine and durability of a vehicle's exterior paint NO IT CANNOT BE DONE

Layering to ensure proper coverage of product YES THIS CAN BE DONE no more than 2 coats

Just my 2 cents"

No one commented on N/A's post, so I will. He is absolutely right that a second layer can insure complete/even coverage. With as thin as many of the modern products can be applied, and how some vehicle colors can make a layer of wax/sealant difficult to see (during & after application), it's a cheap bit of insurance to go over the car with a second "coat" to make sure the entire car has an equal layer of protection.

That being said, if putting a second coat of wax/sealant leaves an even layer of protection, it's not unreasonable to say that the second coat adds protection by eliminating "weak spots" in the protective layer.</HTML>

-ghost of a past detailer
June 20, 2004 03:32PM
<HTML>Fellas,

As long as we all know what we're doing, produce a beautiful and new looking vehicle for our customers then who cares if one's procedures differs from one anothers? If we all did the same thing, same routine, etc. then you know how boring this forum would be. If we are compenated for an extra coat of wax topping a sealant, then so be it. Is it necessary? No. Will it hurt anything? Only your elbow if done by hand.

If you ask me, adding a second coat of protection is good for even distribution only, to make sure every square inch of paint has protection. But how much extra protection are you really getting? As for adding shine with multiple layers, I still have yet to know how and why that may work.

To each his own as long as the customer is very pleased -- that's the big picture.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 20, 2004 03:44PM
<HTML>different products, when used in a various combos, does produce different looks. One combo of products may produce a wetter look on say silvers and lights colors than another combo of various products.

This is the fun part of detailing.....

anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
June 20, 2004 04:09PM
<HTML>Anthony is correct, you can experiment with wax and sealant combinations and many times come up with some interesting results.

Chemists formulate products based on their knowledge of what various ingredients do and they can come up with a product that will shine more than another; be more durable then another, etc.

However, they do not always combine products to get a different result.

For example, when we found our SwirlAway/Polish dried too fast we ended up adding some DIAMOND PLUS. This not only increased the working time of the product, but it left a much nicer finish.

Passing this on to the chemist he took the properties of the sealant and combined them with his formula for the swirl remover and came up with a very good product.

Good point Anthony.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
June 20, 2004 04:32PM
<HTML>Very well put Brian and Anthonysmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
June 24, 2004 07:52PM
<HTML>If you wax your car once a month , are you layering ? If you put a coat of straight wax over a cleaner wax , are you layering? How do you talk a customer into leaving their cars with you for a couple of days while the Sealant cures for 24 hours so you can top it with carnuba ? Just curious I guess.</HTML>
June 25, 2004 01:56AM
<HTML>As far as I am concerned you can wax/seal your car once a month and that would not be considered "layering." Why? A wax won't last that long anyway. A sealant would still have some protection but you would not be layering as I understand the definition as presented here.

Layering seems to relate to putting more than one coat on the car at the time of initial application.

However, I do not believe in layering. Use a good product, apply it and tell the customer to come back in 3 to 4 months to have it renewed.

Everyone to their own opinion. But as a developer of chemical protection products I can say one layer is sufficient.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
June 25, 2004 03:32AM
<HTML>Man.........this one is dragging on.......smiling smiley

Bud would be correct in that "layering" is seen as laying down multiple coats of one product in one session. It can also mean that you have layered a carnauba wax over a polymer. Many believe this will enhance the shine or give a polymered car that "carnauba" look.

Back to my post a few ago.......I used to detail 3 seal gray Porsches and I was able to do a side by side comparison on them using 3 different products on them to see if the look was any different. On one 911 I used a polymer on another I used a carnauba paste wax and on the third I used a combo of the polymer and the caranauba.

They did have different looks to them although to the average joe they perhaps all looked the same. One 911 had Klasse AIO applied first then a polymer, I believe it was UPP. The color was nice but it was too dark. The next 911 was polished using (I think this is correct) Hi-Temps Light Cut, Pinnacles Liquid Soveran and then topped with Trade Secret. This combo was not as dark as the AIO/UPP but rather it seemed to bring out the metallic of the paint and it had a nice wet look to it. The third 911 I can't recall what I used but it did look very nice, not as wet as the second 911 though.

So you can say that I did layer some waxes and it may have been that the Pinnacle Liquid on top of the polished paint was all it really needed. I only looked at the paint in the sun after I applied the Trade Secret. My general purpose of "layering" is not because I seek to enhance the shine or gloss but rather to 1) make sure of complete coverage and 2) to experiment to see which products look best on what paint and color.

That is all, over an out

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login