Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How much product overhead to start a store

Posted by Brian Lupo 
How much product overhead to start a store
July 06, 2004 02:23AM
<HTML>how much do you think intial product overhead will run to open up a detail shop? I've been selling trailers like crazy and now its time to move onto chemicals and supplies.

Any links to wholesalers would be appreciated too smiling smiley I'm not going to sell online, only local so no worry about competition for those of you online vendors. If you want to share your source, can you email me at ShowtimeDetailing@2by2.net? That way you don't display it to the whole world winking smiley

Thanks guys
Brian</HTML>
Re: How much product overhead to start a store
July 06, 2004 02:37AM
<HTML>If you are interested in carrying "The Best" MicroFiber on the market, feel free to email me.
If you are interested in cheap Chinese towels, you can also email me..., but beware, you can buy the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart or Costco for less than .90ea... (plus it will not help if you are shooting for a reputation for qualitysmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 06, 2004 04:20AM
<HTML>Wayne--less than.50 cents each / 20 for less than $10.00 at Sams.
I bought $50 of towels for grunge work. I have had them for 3 months and so far so good.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
July 06, 2004 08:29AM
<HTML>Great deal for "grunge work" smiling smiley
MF works so much better than cotton for cleaning..., even the cheap stuff, IMO...</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
CHEAP MICRO FIBERS
July 06, 2004 01:42PM
<HTML>Wayne:

Could you please tell us what constitutes a "cheap microfiber towel?"

As you know, all microfiber today comes from Korea and China. I have been importing from both countries for several years and find that there is really no difference between the Chinese and Korean towels.

Please, would really appreciate your knowledgeable information on what constitutes "cheap?"

I have never had any complaints from any of our several hundred customers throughout the world and I get reorders constantly. We sell our towels for $1.25 each and $0.99 each in one dozen quantities.

The $0.50 price Scott speaks of is a bargain at the retail level, I pay more than that for the 16" X 16" microfiber towel.

Is it thread size? Warp and fill? What?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
microfibers
July 06, 2004 04:32PM
<HTML>FWIW I require a microfiber cloth to absolutely not scratch the paint--this includes the edges--scratch free seams and tagless is a must ( usually I find softness/type of weave determines this)

It is also very important that the cloth stand up to lots and lots of washing, to never get hard, cardboard like after being washed ( of course after using the proper washing procedure) and certainly never to fray or lint. If possible, if it can be resistant to staining that would be desirable too.

Prices definitely range for microfibers. Fortunately I do believe all the "good" ones do not have to be terribly expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if some modestly priced, but high quality microfibers are comparable to some of the expensive ones</HTML>
Re: microfibers
July 06, 2004 11:55PM
<HTML>Bud,

Cheap quality microfiber-
1- Lints
2- Causes Micro-marring on the paint
3- Very low durability
4- Low Performance
5-Fray's

I assumed as a "supplier" you would know that microfiber is made around the world..., not only Korea and China..., you must be thinking of some other product...,
Microfiber is even made in the USA.

As a "supplier", do you know the definition of microfiber?

BTW, you said you have "never" had any complaints on the quality of your microfiber...,
I have recieved many letters from new buyers that have commented on the poor quality of your towels..., I have even tried one sent by a customer a couple of years ago and was very disappointed, it started coming apart after only a couple of washes and was already much thinner (yes, I totally agree, all MicroFiber is not created equal..., just like any other product, from Diamonds to Automobiles, there is a HUGE difference in qualitysmiling smiley
I would normally not have mentioned that, but you did bring up the subject.</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
July 07, 2004 01:17AM
<HTML>While on the subject of MicroFiber toweling, have any of you detailer/suppliers ever tried Brotex Microfiber toweling? How does their quality (Brotex) compare with what you buy over seas? ............. Brandy !</HTML>
July 07, 2004 05:15AM
<HTML>Wayne:

Let us not throw stones. All I asked you to do was give me some "technical definitions' of what a quality microfiber towel is?

You have not done that you simply have parroted the typical salesman jargon about micro fiber.

Tell me in what other countries of the world can you obtain microfibers?

India; Pakistan and Egypt are some of the larger exporters of cotton towels but they do not have the capability to produce microfiber.

Tell me what company in the USA produces Microfiber. Cannon? Who?

Tell me who it was that said our towels are not of good quality. I will be most happy to replace any and all towels theya re not satisfied with.

Regards
BA</HTML>

buda
July 07, 2004 05:38AM
<HTML>Yeah.....I'd like to hear the answers to those questions,as well !

Answer....if you can????</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
Joe @ Superior Shine microfibers
July 07, 2004 01:05PM
<HTML>Joe, Have you tried using the "Sam's" Microfiber toweling, as you would your top quality toweling. I'd like to know the difference myself. I'm not buying a car, or a diamond, just a "Rag". About a month ago I stopped in a Detail Shop in Columbus, Ohio. The owner and I went to lunch, and while there I picked his brain some, on this and that, of detailing. He said that he has been in the business about 17 1/2 years to that point. He said that he has tried different chemicals. Now goes with Autoint, and 3M only. He said that he can't see much difference between the Sam's variety of Microfiber Toweling and what some of the suppliers call Top Quality,at 4-6 times the price. It all gets back to what each one's preference is I guess!...:-) Brandy! P.S. I guess it like when spend a buck, and its heavy to carry home I feel like I got my monies worth. Its all in the mind set of the purchaser!</HTML>
Re: Joe @ Superior Shine microfibers
July 07, 2004 01:19PM
<HTML>Once again, has anyone ever tried or used MicroFiber Toweling from Brotex Company in St. Paul, Minnesota? I would like to know how they stack up against the so called "Top Quality". If I am asking someone to give up their trade secret of who they purchase from, I apologize. A lady Named Joann Sparkman sent me a sample box,and the toweling didn't seem to be any better than what I have purchased from "Sam's" Club. You guys have see some of my posts,and I don't knock anybody, and truly in Aaah of your alls knowledge of the business. I'm looking for good info to help me in getting into business for myself. The expense of doing so, anyone with half a brain doesn't want to make any mistakes, but some will be made, but the better you do your home work, = minimal mistakes, or thats my philosophy anyway.... Thanks in Advance Again Brandy!</HTML>
Re: Joe @ Superior Shine microfibers
July 07, 2004 01:34PM
<HTML>Brandy, So far it looks like the Sams micros are pretty darn good. I have been using the same 20 for the last 3 months. They are smaller than most towels, kind of curl up on the edges but they work pretty darn good. For less than 50 cents each, you can use it twice and throw it away and still be ahead.

I have a few high dollar towels that seem to absorb more and feel like they will last longer. Those I have to the side for when I need that. Everything else gets a cheapy Sams towel.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
made in USA
July 07, 2004 02:10PM
<HTML>I'm not sure, but maybe DF Towels are made in the USA, if not I think the cellulose fabric is from Italy.</HTML>
Buda MicroFiber Pricing: made in USA
July 07, 2004 07:46PM
<HTML>Bud and others, I just purchased a pack of 20-14x14 inch Microfiber towels at Sam's club. Once again, I don't know how they stand up to everybody elses Top or High Quality, but what experience that I have had, them seem pretty darn good. I did get a Bath towel sized Microfiber from the auto dept at Super Walmart today,and I paid less than 5.00. It was the same color,and packaged like the ones that I got from Sam's Club. I know that the Walton Family owns both enterprizes,and probably both sized towels from the same Mill. The Big Towel (Microfiber was 36x24) and worked very well at removing Sealant. Zero Drag, and and it seemed to kick out the dried sealant good when I gave it a shake............ :-) Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Buda MicroFiber Pricing: made in USA
July 07, 2004 07:48PM
<HTML>Sorry, that I forgot to add the price of $9.38 for the pack of 20-14x14 inch MicroFiber Towels from Sam's Club.</HTML>
July 07, 2004 09:31PM
<HTML>Bud, Microfibre towels were invented in northern Europe, although not as towels. They were invented for water purification filters. I can say this with some certanty because when I decided to buy towels, I got in touch with the man who invented them and visited the factory where they are made. They supply re-branded towels to just about all the car care companies who sell in Europe, including some of the big American names.</HTML>
July 07, 2004 10:07PM
<HTML>That is interesting you mention that about microfibers as the first ones I saw in the USA were offered by a Swedish company and were about the size of a "shop rag" and very expensive. They were being marketed to the janitorial and cleaning industry.

It was my understanding, however, that microfiber was invented in Japan.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Eric

SAVE YOUR $$$$$$$$ NOT WORTH IT. Wish I new Wayne before I purchase awhile ago DAM THEY GOT MEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</HTML>
July 08, 2004 12:06AM
<HTML>Got mine from

[www.vaporcleanproducts.com]

still using them after 18 months of abuse !

Jim.</HTML>
July 08, 2004 12:07AM
<HTML>"still using them after 18 months of abuse"

I meant the MF towels, not the company !

Jim.</HTML>
July 09, 2004 03:34AM
<HTML>Like Bud says, it is the truth, there are only mills that produce the fiber in South Korea or China.

As far as " the quality issue", that can get a bit confusing.

One take a "top of the line" cloth and get the "linting" issue, but it may not be due to the true "quality of the fabric", but rather where that particular cloth, that "One person" got a batch of, came off the production line, start or finish of the run.

Then, what "grade" did the manufacturere, the "mill" use to produce the particular "re-branded/tag sewn on-color, etc" provide to the importer?

Hell, I have seen some really top grade 80/20 towels, bought in lots of 10,000, and have a percentage lint like hell until washed a correctly a couple of times.

Pro's in the business understand that this happens, however the anal "enthusists" who hardly know one end of their car from the other, have a very hard time considering the manufacturering process.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 09, 2004 03:55PM
<HTML>"Waynes world"........what's your response(if you have one) to Ketch's statement?

WAYNE STATED this about microfiber towells:

"I assumed as a "supplier" you would know that microfiber is made around the world..., not only Korea and China..., you must be thinking of some other product...,
Microfiber is even made in the USA".

AND ALSO THIS:

"If you are interested in carrying "The Best" MicroFiber on the market, feel free to email me.
If you are interested in cheap Chinese towels, you can also email me..., but beware, you can buy the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart or Costco for less than .90ea... (plus it will not help if you are shooting for a reputation for qualitysmiling smiley"

Wayne....now where is "the best" microfiber on the market(as you claim) made again,if not in korea or china.....explain that too us all again?

.....Sounds to me like wayne is the one who does'nt know what he is talking about.....MAYBEE he should research "microfiber" a lot more before claiming to be an expert on them.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 11, 2004 05:54PM
<HTML>Hi guys...,
Came in late again...

So, what is the question?

What is "The Best" microfiber?
(that is like asking "what is the best wax" or "what is the best car?")
For example, someone may say the best car is a hybrid because of the high gas milage..., someone else may say a F40 because of the high speed, someone else may say a van because of the room..., "get it" ?

It depends on what you are wanting to accomplish.

You would not want to use a waffle weave towel for cleaning..., just like a long nap towel is not best for windows..., that is the reason I supply different blends and weaves, to have the best performance for the job you are wanting to do.

I have tested microfiber towels that actually "repelled" water instead of soaking it up.

I have tested microfiber that linted like crazy..., no matter how many times you washed it.

I have tested microfiber that started to come apart after only a couple of washes.

I have tested microfiber that lost 25% of it's weight after only a couple of washes.

I have tested microfiber that introduced swirls, micro-marring and/or scratches to the surface

"Quality" microfiber will have none of the above problems(or actually- lack of performance)

BTW..., microfiber is not a "product", but the size of the thread....,
Leo makes his own cotton microfiber right here in the good ole' USAsmiling smiley

It is a product like any other..., you usually get what you pay forsmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
July 11, 2004 09:09PM
<HTML>WAYNE....that is NOT a complete answer( like your always telling Buda).... the question ALSO to you(wayne) was;

WHERE is YOUR ("the best" as you claim) microfiber made???? (if not korea or china).. KETCH stated that ALL microfiber is made is korea/china !

WAYNE replied with this answer;
"Leo MAKES his own cotton microfiber right here in the good ole' USAsmiling smiley"

MY question is to you is;
WHO is LEO ? and where in the USA exactly are they made(name the city)?

PLUS wayne contridicted himself by stating that microfiber was "NOT a PRODUCT"

wayne stated this;
"BTW..., microfiber is not a "product", but the size of the thread....,"

then wayne stated this in the next line;
"It is a product like any other...,"

WHICH IS IT ? A product or not a product?

From your statements here on this forum on MICROFIBER, considering your business is named "waynes towels" I ASSUMED and so will your customers you would know WHERE microfiber is made.Sounds to me you don't know as much as you claim to know about microfiber.....your just continue trying to "sell" microfiber towels by stating their the "best" and charging MORE than there really WORTH to justify the high-cost to your customers..... you SOUND to me MORE like a SALESMAN and not the EXPERT you claim to be on microfiber.

ALL the "experts" here disagree with you about WHERE microfiber is made....I wonder WHO the readers of this forum BELEIVE ?

YOU or EVERYBODY else here?????</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 12, 2004 12:57AM
<HTML>Well CM...,

Since YOU have a bad attitude, I will let YOU do your own research...,

You are not looking for an answer, but instead an argument..., which you will not get from me, LOL!!!

You can be ignorant to the facts if you would like..., it just makes you look "unlearned" smiling smiley

The facts are the facts, and you can not change thatsmiling smiley

Old Proverb-
" Better to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to speak up and erase all doubt."</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
July 12, 2004 01:06AM
<HTML>Wayne, "Leo" may buy the fabric in bulk rolls and have people/workers, here in the states sew the edges, sew on a label, but I am not looking for a fight, so understand that.

The amount of micro fibers we import and have for the past 3 years is a very large number, and we are approached, called upon, by the representatives of the mills in the two countries that have producing mills, So. Korea and China, not North Carolina, not South Carolina, not from any "fabric producing mill" in the United States.

I have to agree with what some others are requesting of you, and that is provide honest and substansiated proof of what you believe to be true.

I am not calling or accusing you of being a liar, or untruthful, just that I do question your sources, which it appears to be "middle man suppliers" .

Please, do not take this as a "personal attack", but an honest, forthright question, which will hopefully set the issue to rest.

Ketch</HTML>

July 12, 2004 01:22AM
<HTML>Ketch,

Here is "one" website of "made in the USA" microfiber>
Leo makes his own..., but everyone will have to argue that with himsmiling smiley
[www.dftowel.com]

Again, microfiber is the "size" of the fiber, not what it is made of...,

I agree, Korea and China are the "largest importers" of microfiber towels...,
However, I can not give every "source" for the products..., just as ANY company would not post their "contacts", "manufacturers" or "formulas" for products on a public forum.

Where I get my products..., "private information" other than I do have them made in Korea to my specifications and under strict quality control)
(BTW, the information is easily obtained on my web sitesmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
July 12, 2004 01:36AM
<HTML>OK, I have been to your website, but it does not name your mill, and I do understand that.

However, I had no idea of the vast importation of fibers you do.

What kind of fork lift do you have, how many docks, got some strong "racks'.

You must have at least 15,000 sq ft of base warehousing and another 2,500 to 5,000 of manufactuering, where the edge and label sewing is done.

What you got, 10, 20, 50? employees?

You get the drift?

Ketch</HTML>

July 12, 2004 01:53AM
<HTML>"You get the drift?"

No..., not at all???

What does numbers have to do with "Quality"?

If I had a fleet of ships and multiple complex warehousing with 10,000 employees, would that make the end product better?

If I remember correctly, the post was on "quality", not "quantity"smiling smiley

If we will take notice, it is the "small shops" that produce "high performance specialty products" such as Shelby, Lamborghini, etc...

Hope this helpssmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login