Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How much product overhead to start a store

Posted by Brian Lupo 
Re: Buda MicroFiber Pricing: made in USA
July 12, 2004 02:13AM
<HTML>So, as I understand what you are saying,
1. You do not purchase/import the bulk rolls of the fiber.
2. You do not reprocess/cut/sew edges/labels on the cut bulk rolls into towel size.
3. You do not have a processing center which any of the processes mentioned in question #2.
4. You purchase a finished product,from a "supplier", who you believe is honest/tells you only what is true, and which you resell.
5. You believe that the end product which you resell is superior to any other "like, marketed, advertised, etc" on available to the buying public, be they of the "home consumer or professional" user.

Is that a fair set of questions?

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 12, 2004 02:39AM
<HTML>I will let you come to your own conclusionssmiling smiley

It is like me asking-
So you mix your own products, transport them, label them, box them, AND chemically formulate them, market them, sell them, etc, etc...,
Or do you pay someone else and just "trust" that they are being honest about what is in the products, etc?

Unless you are actually mixing the chemicals and capping them off, you must "trust" someone else?

"You purchase a finished product,from a "supplier", who you believe is honest/tells you only what is true, and which you resell."

Are you doing all of the above?

I really do not see a point to this..., it has no real bearing on the quality of a product or it's performance...

Bottom line is-
Are the customers happy with what they are recieving, the performance and durability of the product, etc, etc...,
Overwhelmingly- "YES"!! smiling smiley

Whether you are a larger supplier, more knowledgable, drive a Mercedes or a Pinto(remember those?), again, the bottom line is- customer service and quality products.

Yes, I am a small business and PROUD of it(like the majority of the people on the forum).

Anyhow Ketch, I do not take this personally..., nice postssmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 12, 2004 02:57AM
<HTML>You don't!

Sorry about that.

Been in this industry for years, and I understand the difference between being a Tier One, Tier Two, Tie Three supplier or just a remarketer.

Not that being a "remarketer" is bad, it is the American way.

At AI, we can not play any games, we just got our ISO certification last week, after 3 years of work.

That is pretty damned tough, takes a lot of honesty, from purchasing the raw components, to the blending, to the packaging, the shipping, etc.

We are "Tier Two" suppliers, in other words, we do not make "components" for the vehicles of the manufacturers we supply, just one step below that.

It takes a lot to get there, and it is not just "manufacturering" of a product, but meeting engineering, toxology, marketing, packaging, etc requirements.

Not stone is left unturned by those companies we supply.

So, when you make statements such as you have, I would naturally expect you to be able to answer the same honestly asked questions that I have to.

PS, we have two plants, close to 100,000 sq ft of manufacturering, two warehouses, and one whole bunch of employees.

We ship as little as a bottle on up to 40 ft containers, and we don't make microfiber towels, we just remarket them, direct from a Two Tier importer.

That is ok, towels are not ore business, chemicals and their manufacturering is our business, towels are a necessary accessory, all three or four 40 ft containers a year we resell.

Ketch</HTML>

July 12, 2004 02:58AM
<HTML>Good answers.

Sorry about that I may have been agressive.

Been in this industry for years, and I understand the difference between being a Tier One, Tier Two, Tie Three supplier or just a remarketer.

Not that being a "remarketer" is bad, it is the American way.

At AI, we can not play any games, we just got our ISO certification last week, after 3 years of work.

That is pretty damned tough, takes a lot of honesty, from purchasing the raw components, to the blending, to the packaging, the shipping, etc.

We are "Tier Two" suppliers, in other words, we do not make "components" for the vehicles of the manufacturers we supply, just one step below that.

It takes a lot to get there, and it is not just "manufacturering" of a product, but meeting engineering, toxology, marketing, packaging, etc requirements.

Not stone is left unturned by those companies we supply.

So, when you make statements such as you have, I would naturally expect you to be able to answer the same honestly asked questions that I have to.

PS, we have two plants, close to 100,000 sq ft of manufacturering, two warehouses, and one whole bunch of employees.

We ship as little as a bottle on up to 40 ft containers, and we don't make microfiber towels, we just remarket them, direct from a Two Tier importer.

That is ok, towels are not ore business, chemicals and their manufacturering is our business, towels are a necessary accessory, all three or four 40 ft containers a year we resell.

Ketch</HTML>

July 12, 2004 03:11AM
<HTML>Wayne:

Now we are getting somewhere, "made to your specifications!!!!"

That is what I asked you several postings ago, "the specifications of your towels, which are the kind of information anyone knowledgeable in buying textiles will ask their supplier.

Thread size?
Warp?
Fill?

If you would be so kind as to provide the forum your specifications we can really see if your towels are really better than everyone elses.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
July 12, 2004 03:25AM
<HTML>Wayne:

As you have so often told me "JUST ANSWER KETCH'S QUESTION." And, for that matter answer mine.

They are straight forward, easy to answer. You are being evasive so it would seem you have no answer?

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
July 12, 2004 03:37AM
<HTML>Old Proverb-
" Better to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to speak up and erase all doubt."

WAYNE you should have taken YOUR own ADVICE !!!!

You have dug your own grave on this one,every time you respond,it makes you look even worse.

My advice to you is to....... zip it !

QUIT now before YOU make yourself look any worse !

BTW.....my attitude has been just fine.....just thought I'd give you a little of your own medicine.....you know, like how you do with Buda on every single topic he post on....attacking him and his motives......let this be a lesson,unless your completely sure of what your claiming is a fact......zip it !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
July 12, 2004 03:44AM
<HTML>To get back to Brians question.

If you have big money to invest then why not talk to some of the major companies about being a distrubitor, people like CarBrite , Malco, Stoners etc.

Or just contact people like Meguairs, 3M, Turtlewax and see about becoming a retailer for them.

There are even two people on this forum , Bud and Ron who both own or run two good companies that you might become a distrubitor or re seller for.

Contact people like Rob Regan at www.wcdetail.com, or Paul Apollonnia at www.autoappearancesinc.com , they are both cool guys who may be able to give you some guidance.

MF towels..did we cover those ?

Jim.</HTML>
July 12, 2004 04:49AM
<HTML>I'll agree with that.....I think wayne gave-up on the microfiber debate anyway,hopefully ?

It's hard for some of us here(including myself) to resist a good debate....right? There is no harm in exposing the truth to others, is there?

My advice to Brian is: Don't spread yourself to thin....focus on the one thing that your good at & love to do,and become the best there is at that one thing.....don't TRY to expand,unless prepared beforehand,and the demand is there.

There is alot of competition in the Detailing chemicals & supplies biz,good luck competing with them, even at the local level is hard to do,join the crowd.

Unless you create your own niche in the market.

......Maybee you could just expand your mobile detailing trailer business to also include stocking them as well,with detailing chemicals & supplies, if that's something your customers might be interested in adding on to there trailer package.

Keep it simple,to start,and expand ONLY if needed WITH YOUR NET PROFITS FROM YOUR BIZ,not by adding more debt to your biz,and not just because you WANT to,but because expansion is justified by a demand for it in your market.

Your best bet is too always......Stick with the one thing your good at,and then perfect it more & more over time,then you & your product/services will always be in demand....because your PERCEIVED by others to be the best at what you do,not just one of the many in a crowd,offering the same ole' thing as they do, promising everything to everybody, not able deliver what you promised you would.....and then lose the trust of your customers in the process. Don't bite off more than you can handle.

.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 12, 2004 04:51AM
<HTML>As someone who has purchased at least a dozen microfiber towels from both Wayne and Bud I can say without any doubt that the quality of Waynes towels far exceed that of Buds.

I've been using Waynes towels for about 6 months and I will never again buy a microfiber towel from anyone else. I average 2-3 details a week and I've been using the same set of Waynes towels and they are just as fresh and effective as they day I received them in the mail.

Bud, no offense but the towels I purchased from you last year were very disappointing. The towels lost their knap after 2 washings. I will now only use them on wheels or engine bays. I would never put one to the paint because they scratch too much.

Wayne, you should mail Bud one of your towels and let him see what I am lucky to already know.

I've been happy with other purchases from Bud and DetailPlus in the past but the towels definately left a bad taste in my mouth.

Christian</HTML>
July 12, 2004 08:15AM
<HTML>My point exactly...,

When it comes down to it, that is what matters..., performance, quality and customer satisfaction and servicesmiling smiley

I "could" tell you guys how many I purchase in a month..., how many I sell in a month..., the size of my warehouse..., the complete specs of the towels..., etc, etc...,
But what is the point, no one else is posting the "formula" for their chemicals and I am "NOT" posting the "formula" for my towels...(any "important information is on the website tohelp you make a decisionsmiling smiley

AGAIN..., bottom line-
QUALITY, PERFORMANCE and CUSTOMER SATISFACTION and SERVICEsmiling smiley

All else mentioned is irrellevant to the end results for the user.

You guys "can" attack all you want..., but as I said before-
"Facts is Facts"smiling smiley

Have a great daysmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 12, 2004 02:28PM
<HTML>I would very much like to see one of Wayne's towels to compare the quality with what we buy. Unless you are a textile engineer it is very difficult to determine the quality of one over the other.

You can know warp and fill and thread size, but that still does not measure how the market considers the quality of a towel.

Proof of that is we have customers who have said the same thing about our towels as you have said about Wayne's. Who is right?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
July 12, 2004 10:45PM
<HTML>Hopefully this debate is a learning experience for Wayne. I have nothing against Wayne but I have seen many times him attacking Bud for evading answers to questions that have been presented on this forum. We all must learn to lighten up and put our sometimes enormously huge EGOS aside and just discuss detailing. Like I've said before, there's always more then one way to do things. ALWAYS!</HTML>
July 13, 2004 02:48AM
<HTML>I doubt it...he still probally STILL thinks his microfibers are the "best" and will continue to tell his customers & THIS FORUM that as well....so he can justify the higher-cost to his customers for them....why else would you pay more as a customer for the same quality product as your competitor is charging less for? HE must say their "the best"....to get the most he can for them.RIGHT?

The market ALWAYS sorts this type of thing out.....the SMART customer will buy the best product ,at the best value....not just assume IF it cost more,IT must be better.EXPENSIVE...dose'nt always=better,it just means your not willing to find the best value in your purchase.Some people are just suckers for high-priced products & services....no matter what the quality,they think because they paid more for it....it's BETTER,because it cost more.....not always true,in my experience with detailing products or services.

PS....That's part of the problem in this industry,everybody has their own way of doing the same things.....with different results in quality,it's confusing for the customer to trust & pick a quality detailer....because their is no standard for them to compare quality too...everybody assumes their way is the right way & best quality...it's bad for us all in the biz...we ALL need to strive to set some "standards" for this industry....not fifty different ways of doing the same thing....but one standard way, thats accepted as the standard in the biz,as THE effective & safe process/procedure that IS used by ALL of us in the business.....NOT fifty different ways,but one standard way that produces the QUALITY results EVERYTIME.Thats what customers want,consistent QUALITY WORK from us.

We all need promote & create some standard process/procedures for this industry !!!</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 13, 2004 03:46AM
<HTML>What a lot of mudslinging! This has totally gone off subject and Brian Lupo only got maybe a handful of answers. Wish I could help you out on this Brian but I'm not a supplier.

Maybe if you join some buying groups with us you can get deep discounted products and profit along the way from your resales.

And for the microfiber debate, Wayne was kind enough to send me a sample of his new glass towel and it's the best glass towel I've ever used. However, I have not tried Bud, Ron, Rob's towels so I can't compare. I can compare them to my current microfiber supplier and will say Wayne are better.

Bud has EXCELLENT paint sealant, Diamond Plus. I haven't tried anything else of Buds.

Ron has some kick ass Custom Wheel Cleaner and APC -- plus a whole line of great products. He was also kind to send me a significant amount of free samples.

Rob has a great business ethic and friendly personality. Haven't had the honor of trying any of his products but will enjoy the buyer's group we're involved in. Don't forget about Detail Plus' buying group coming soon.

So you all see my point, right?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
dollar figures on retail store
July 13, 2004 04:33AM
<HTML>It took around 2500 to stock the shop and about 5000 to stock the retail
shop</HTML>
Re: dollar figures on retail store
July 13, 2004 05:03PM
<HTML>Thanks a Helluva Lot Byron, this damn thing could haven been like "Name That Tune",and answered in 2-3 notes. I just put my 1 set of "SAM's" Microfiber Toweling thru the 3rd wash/rinse/dry,and I got alot of fuzzing, when using it to clean windows on a detail this weekend. I never have tried the samples that I got from Brotex, I'll put them to the test next detail job that I get,and give some report.............. :-) Brandy !</HTML>
July 13, 2004 05:15PM
<HTML>Eric....try using BLUE SURGICAL TOWELS instead of microfiber on the windows...they work the best,in my opinion and they leave no fuzz behind on the windows,as do some microfiber towels, from my experience with them.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 14, 2004 08:09PM
<HTML>Chris, maybe you will answer my question about 78 threads ago on this subject. There was someone about a year ago, that wrote on the forum about a company called Brotex,Inc in St.Paul,Minn. They also gave a womens name of JoAnn Sparkman for the Microfiber,or detailing rags contact,was that you???.... I just was wondering with out having to buy a hand full of Towels, here, there and "Yonder" - Yes, I made the contact with Mrs.Sparkman,and she did in fact send some samples of which I haven't tried,but soon to. Question is??? have you tried their stuff,and how do you grade their stuff,if you have used it/them. Chris the Blue Sergical Towels,are these what some call Huck towels or maybe Haulk Sergical Towling. I heard the term,but would know one, if i pissin on a pile of EM!

Hey sumthin else ole Buddie, let me know about a week before you get you bout with Frank Canna,as I would like to sell some Tickets...Ha,Ha,Ha..:-) Brandy</HTML>
July 14, 2004 08:51PM
<HTML>I agree with CM...,

The surgical towels are a better choice than the "cheapie microfiber towels" for the reasons he mentioned..., linting as well as streaking and some even repel water rather than absorb it..., you would not want to even think about using one of a fine finish!!!
Again..., I TOTALLY agreesmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
July 14, 2004 09:28PM
<HTML>Brandy....you made me laugh out loud on your last post.....that's some funny chit man....I'm game if he is,maybee you can be the promoter,I'll give you a %....just joking,I just like to remind him of that everytime I see the ROTARY vs. PC(orbitrol)topic posted.....no response yet though....wonder why?

Anyway....no offense FRANK....just having a liitle fun at your expense...sorry!

Most of what you claim makes pretty good sense...MOST...just not the stuff on PC orbitrols, that's all.

Brandy....I do remember the post on brotex....but not the exact details...just do a search to see the original post on it.

Blue surgical towels are refered to by some as "hucks" towels,by thats just a slang term...some use.I know most in the biz,who have used them on windows,LIKE THEM,and CHOOSE them over microfibers that leave fuzz behind and don't absorb as well....But some other microfiber towels designed for windows work as well as surgical towels....but cost more...so you all know which one I choose,right? The best value to me, is blue surgical towels,and their very duable ALSO...mine have lasted for several years so far.

wayne:glad we can agree on something concerning towels on this thread,FINALLY !....no hard feelings,right? Just having a little fun with you in the previos posts,that's all...nothing personal....sounds like you took no offense....that's good....I know you love a good debate as much as do some of the rest of us....just don't over-do it,if possible....focusing on one person all the time,on every post they make.......gets old after awile & turns people against you,in my experience.....but AT LEAST you tried to keep your sense of humor....that was nice to see....GOOD LUCK with selling your rags.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 14, 2004 10:30PM
<HTML>CM,

No offence taken at all, LOL!!

As a matter of fact, the reason I am not on here much right now is because the sales are so high..., as you know, any publicity is good publicity and with some that have actually tried the towels making post, comparing and sharing results, it REALLY seemed to help boost sales.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to the customers and friendssmiling smiley

As you know..., I like a good debate, no matter what side of the debate I am on..., it ALWAYS makes you thinksmiling smiley

Anyhow, definately no hard feelings(maybe even Frank will accept you on his board if I am the forum A-hole, LOL!!!
Take caresmiling smiley</HTML>

www.waynestowels.com
July 15, 2004 12:28AM
<HTML>WAYNE....Im glad I could help boost your microfiber sales,your welcome.

I agree WITH YOU, bad publicity is still some publicity,right?....and BETTER than NO plublicity at all...and will get you noticed for sure. most people are more interested in hearing about the bad publicity vs. hearing about the good publicity,anyway.BUT,if they they lose confidence in you or your product....or dislike you for ANY reason....then you may have a problem...sounds like your taking care of business though,best of luck to you !

Do good work...your customer may tell one other person....to bad work,that customer will probally tell ten other people....people want to tell others about the crapy job they got done.....but your lucky if they tell one other person about the great job you did.So your reputation for consistent quality is key...you must maintain the complete knowlege of every aspect of the product you sell....you MUST be the "EXPERT" in it,to provide it,and not lose the confidence of your customers or potential customers in the future,IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TRUST.if they lose it ,your TOAST!

If your customer is pleased with your product and continues to be coming back for more of it....you must be doing something right,RIGHT?

Glad I could help you out !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
July 16, 2004 02:08PM
<HTML>Thanks for answering my question guys :-\

smiling smiley</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login