Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Meguiar's NXT Wax Test

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Re: LABORATORY TEST
August 10, 2004 01:24AM
<HTML>Sending you the report is not about money. It is about covering your costs.

The Study cost several thousand dollars to conduct and I could hardly return that cost for $7.95.

The $7.95 is the cost of copy the pages; assemble them; put them in a folder and mail them.

If you feel that is too much money to pay that is your choice.

My conscience is quite clear when it comes to giving and sharing FREE information about detailing with anyone and everyone.

But we do need to cover costs.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: LABORATORY TEST
August 10, 2004 01:51AM
<HTML>Doug,

The Guru report is a damn good indicator in my opinion, but hardly the last word on waxes. I certainly wouldn't cite the authors as experts though, they admit they are just enthusiats... and if you have ever surfed the enthusiasts forums you will know that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! Of all people who would walk into a car assessory shop, it's enthusiasts who will often make the least well informed decisions based on bits of information, old wives tales, half truths and total bullshit.

I certainly don't want to put these guys at Guru down... I hope they keep doing what they are doing! because I feel that with each new test, they will mature. And we will look back at this first Guru wax report and see t as something of a hash.

Funnily enough though, I think they probably came to near enough the right conclusions though, wether by luck or judgement.

I finally got my report today after a mix up and many weeks delay. I'll be mailing them my encouragement AND constructive critisism. I hope others here will do the same as I think this independant test is much needed to kick into touch those companies that make false and extravigant claims. Iv'e never come across an industry with so much hype and bull. I think it may be fair to say that the reason some of these products arn't sold in the UK is that under the 1968 trades description act, many of them would end up in court.</HTML>
The quote of the year
August 10, 2004 03:31PM
<HTML>From Dan:

"Iv'e never come across an industry with so much hype and bull."

Truer words were never spoke in all mankind's history.

Millions of people want to imprison people like Ken Lay, Bernie Ebbers, and Martha Stewart but if the majority of "execs" in the car care products business were held to the same scrutiny, there would hardly be an industry to support or patronize. This business is filled to the gills with liars, cheaters, manipulators, and good ol' fashoned bullshitters. You'd think that after 25+ years of messin' about the detailing world I'd get used to it, but it continues to shock me. Stuf Products is only the latest industry scumbag.

If nothing else the people doing product testing and evaluations realize on some level that most of the industry is built on BS and marketing and they're trying to slash their way to the truth. It may not be scientific but it's a start and you'd think the big time players in the industry would be supportive of their efforts. But it all goes back to Dan's statement, doesn't it?</HTML>
Dan
Re: The quote of the year
August 14, 2004 05:51PM
<HTML>Bud, Im no chemist or even an expert on waxes, but dont you think that the durability aspect of your tests hardly prove anything with the belief of waxes being designed to bond with clear coats as opposed to bare metal panels? I know you cant test salt corrosion in any acceptable length of time on a regular painted panel, but some products that protect great on clear coats may not protect at all on bare metal. Just my observation that could be completely wrong but decided to throw it out there.</HTML>
Re: The quote of the year
August 18, 2004 02:14AM
<HTML>If you drive 40 mph and the water beads blow off the hood you have wax protection. If you drive 41 mph and the water beads do not blow off the hood wax protection in gone. My point is everbody has a opinion. I would think that if you want slickness and beading use a Q.D. after every wash . I use Q.D. all the time and in rain my car beads all the time. Some car wash soaps are made to not bead water, and if the beading is gone when you wash your car it could be the soap not the wax. If you park under some trees and it rains the resin washed from the tree will kill any beading, although the protection will still be under the tree resin.</HTML>
Re: Meguiar's NXT Wax Test
December 24, 2006 06:46AM
Update on this old thread :
Meguiar's contradicted their spokeman's statement that water beading doesn't tell you anything by advertising their red bottle cleaner wax's ability to produce lots of tight water beads.

It was later revealed that Bud's own test used water beading to help measure durability.

Doug

" Don't be a hero. Hold on with both hands. "
January 28, 2007 12:11AM
Members-
Here is an observation on the issue of wax durability.

In my experience, waxes and sealants stain over time. Unless they are stripped away by cleaners ( or maybe wax stripping chemicals such as Griot's Paint Prep ), the cars appearance will worsen even as the product continues to protect and bead water.

This all means that periodic cleaning or polishing or wax stripping will be necessary to keep a car looking its best. It follows that durable sealants should only be left on for their full life if one is willing to put up with the inevitable staining.

Anyone's thoughts on this are welcome.
Doug
January 28, 2007 03:08AM
I have to agree with you. On my car ,it will bead water , be slick , but to me it needs to be polished and waxed again. It will no longer look good to me.Another thing I find that if you just apply more and more wax without polishing or using a cleaner wax, you wont have that deep gloss. It seems to me that the more straight wax you put on , the more you have too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login